Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Aspect Ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 in Final Cut Pro

Hello,

I'm editing a music video in Final Cut Pro. The DP shot it widescreen but its meant to be shown in 4:3 (Standard) ratio. In other words, there's "extra" visible area on the wide sides of each shot that we don't want visible. How do I change the ratio and lose the sides of the shots without affecting the resolution of the video?

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 12:48 PM

Make a custom project that's 2880x2160. Set the clips to Fill. The left and right will be cut off. The image resolution will remain the same.

10 replies

Sep 14, 2019 12:01 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

It will be uploaded to YouTube and the resolution playback should be as high as 4K but the screen fit would be a 1:33 (4:3) aspect ratio without the black letterbox bars on the sides. Here's one example of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXfirs7orwc&t=115s

I'll look for other examples. I recognize that if the viewer switches to "full screen" watch mode, the letterbox bars will automatically appear to accommodate the aspect ratio (which is fine). But there must be a way to edit within Final Cut Pro and have the frame be at a 4:3 aspect ratio without sacrificing the quality of the video resolution.

tx.

Changing Aspect Ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 in Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.