Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony XQD reader not working with 2019 MacBook Pro 16"

I have a Sony XQD/SD reader (model MRW-E90) that has the USB 3.0 Micro B connector on the back. If I use a USB-Micro B to USB-C cable to connect it to my 2019 MacBook Pro 16", it is not recognized. If I use any kind of USB hub in between, like Hyper Drive's USB-C hub, it works even if I use the same USB-Micro B to USB-C cable to plug it into a USB-C port on the hub. I don't understand why I can not connect this reader directly to my MacBook with the appropriate cable. I've tried all 4 USB-C ports on my MacBook and even tried flipping the cable (because sometimes that seems to matter). I've also tried multiple different cables as well as one with a USB-A end and a USB-A to USB-C connector in between.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 3:07 PM

Hi Tigger

It might be a driver issue...

I use XQD and though it was a long time ago I downloaded a driver from Sony support and all was fine thereafter

See if this helps: https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support/downloads/00015303

Gerard

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 25, 2020 3:36 PM in response to gerard morgan

I tried installing that driver but it didn't seem to help. There were a few things that made me doubt it from the start.

• It didn't list the model of XQD reader that I have
  • It's pretty old as far as software updates go. I'm on Catalina (10.15.3), and the latest macOS version the update mentions is High Sierra (10.13)
  • When I installed it, I got a warning that the software needs to be updated to work with this version of macOS.

If it was a driver issue, why does the drive work if I plug it into a USB hub, but not directly into one of the MacBook's ports?

Sony XQD reader not working with 2019 MacBook Pro 16"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.