Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to avoid erasing independent audio track when cutting a bit of video above ?

Again struggling with FCP specialities: having a video clip and adding independent audio below it. Cutting and erasing a bit of video and the whole audio track is erased too.

How to avoid this a bit weird behaviour ? And keep two tracks (audio/video) independent ? For me it does not make any sense - why, when erasing a bit of video track, the whole audio track below it (that is not a part of it) is erased ??

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 12:50 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Sep 12, 2020 4:07 AM in response to savita88

There are no tracks in FCP X.

Everything is either in the primary storyline or is connected to something there.

Whenever you delete a clip you also delete whatever is connected to it. Independent is the wrong word... the connected clip is attached to a particular point in the video clip, and will move along with it, or be deleted with it as in the present case.

Depending on what you are doing there are several things you can do, but I recommend you invest some time to familiarize yourself with the application. The free course at Izzyvideo is a great way to do that.

Sep 12, 2020 10:57 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Well, I tried, it is not really easy to understand it ... It would be actually great to be able to easily switch between "normal" and "magnetic" mode. By normal I mean the mode other video applications and any audio applications work in (i.e. you can freely place any element in any track).

Anyway is there any concentrated concise tutorial clearly explaining the basic points of these "storylines" ? I.e. going directly to the point without the usual 5 introductory minutes of "hello" etc. ? :)) Written text even better ...

Sep 13, 2020 1:48 AM in response to savita88

Check out the free course at IzzyVideo. Not only it is very well done, it divided clearly into chapters (21 of them) about the different parts and features.

While you're about it, take the opportunity to see more about the application.

As long as you keep trying to force the application to work just like FCP 7 or PP, you are going to be disappointed.

Once you understand how it works differently, you will be far more productive and happy :-)

How to avoid erasing independent audio track when cutting a bit of video above ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.