Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import mini dv tapes iMovie FC Pro mac mini M1 OS 12.1

Thanks to advice from this site I was finally able to record my ancient mini dv footage onto my desktop using Quicktime "new movie recording". The initial issue was that iMovie & FC Pro broke every recording - no matter the length - into 1 second clips. Unmanageable. Using Quicktime I could determine the length of each clip by starting and stopping each import and saving to a file. Then the plan was to import these saved clips into FC Pro, or iMovie if necessary. A little clumsy, but it worked.

Now however, upon review, it seems that even though Quicktime recorded the video properly, it did not record the audio.

Now what?

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 11:58 PM

This may not be the issue that you have but in QTP it may have picked up the camera automatically but maybe not the microphone.

You can select a different microphone if needed from the options.

The picture below shows that the HDV-VCR has been automatically selected for "camera "on connection but not the "microphone" for the HDV-VCR .In this case you would need to click on HDV-VCR in the microphone selection.

More details in this link.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/quicktime-player/qtp356b55534/mac

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2022 11:58 PM in response to Kaynray

This may not be the issue that you have but in QTP it may have picked up the camera automatically but maybe not the microphone.

You can select a different microphone if needed from the options.

The picture below shows that the HDV-VCR has been automatically selected for "camera "on connection but not the "microphone" for the HDV-VCR .In this case you would need to click on HDV-VCR in the microphone selection.

More details in this link.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/quicktime-player/qtp356b55534/mac

Feb 15, 2022 6:17 PM in response to Kaynray

Did you select your microphone when selecting your external camera before beginning QuickTimePlayer recording?

Also, go to System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy and click on the Microphone item in the left sidebar. In the display screen at the right, make sure that QuickTimePlayer is listed as an app and that a check mark is placed next to it.

-- Rich

Feb 15, 2022 7:16 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm not sure I understand either of your suggestions. My mac OS 12.1 recognizes my camera as soon as Quicktime opens - no selecting necessary. Under security and privacy/privacy Quicktime is not listed. I have 4 items and QT is not one of them.

Also, I guess I always assumed those items in the left column (in the pic you included) referred to the built-in camera and the built-in microphone on my mac. How do they affect recording and playback of an external device with its own sound in and out?

Feb 16, 2022 9:52 AM in response to Kaynray

As further explained by thesurreyfriends, with

QuickTimePlayer you need to select the microphone that is listed in the Options

dropdown menu that appears when you click on the "v" symbol next to

the red dot.   Recognizing the camera

does not necessarily mean that the microphone is enabled for the app.  So I'm guessing that if you haven't selected

your external mic that that possibly is the cause of the absence of sound in

your import.  It's worth a try.

As for the Microphone item in Preferences/Security &

Privacy/Privacy I believe that it applies to enable any microphone for a

particular app.  QuickTimePlayer is

selected for Microphone in my right hand preferences pane, so I suggested that

you check your preferences to see if there was a box to check.  Since QuickTimePlayer is not shown in your

right hand pane, it probably means that QuickTimePlayer has not requested

microphone use.  I don't see a way to

manually add it. 

In your System Preferences/Sound folder, confirm that your

external camera mic listed and selected under the Input settings? confirm that

the Mute box next to the input slider is not checked. 

Finally, to cover the bases, make sure that you don't have

anything plugged into the ear jack on your Mac.

-- Rich

import mini dv tapes iMovie FC Pro mac mini M1 OS 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.