Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with FINAL CUT BACKUPS - all Files Projects Red (missing)

New to FCPx and my first corrupted Project

could use some assistance

Started troubleshooting the problem on this thread

help with crash and decipher CRASH LOG

I have a solid Carbon Copy Cloner back up that loads proper

and the same Apple Time Machine back up

but they are both a week before the problem occurred

And I would have to redo a days' work to get going again

I am trying to open a FCP BackUP from a couple days before I introduced the suspected

User> Movies> Final Cut Backups

I open the .fcpbundle before I introduced the suspected problem

and it opens with 98% of all files and Projects red (missing)

IS THIS NORMAL (see below screenshot)?

IS THERE A WAY TO RELINK EVERYTHING FASTER THAN INDIVIDUALLY?

OR ARE MY BACKUPS ALSO CORRUPTED?

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 9:28 AM

Don't worry - that is perfectly normal.

I take it that the actual media files are stored inside that library that got corrupted, right?

Quit FCP if it is running.

In the Finder:

1 - create a folder inside your Movies folder, and call it, for example, "My Media".

2 - control-click on the first project.fcpbundle and choose Show Package Contents; drag or option-drag the contents to the folder created above (the latter creates a copy)

3- reopen FCP and the library you were showing before (that copy which had those files showing in red).

3a (recommended) rename this library - say, "first project-recovered" or whatever; avoid the timestamp, which can make it confusing (just think how the backups of that will look...)

4-Do File->Relink Files... choose All, and then Locate... and choose the folder you created above.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 9:28 AM in response to -g

Don't worry - that is perfectly normal.

I take it that the actual media files are stored inside that library that got corrupted, right?

Quit FCP if it is running.

In the Finder:

1 - create a folder inside your Movies folder, and call it, for example, "My Media".

2 - control-click on the first project.fcpbundle and choose Show Package Contents; drag or option-drag the contents to the folder created above (the latter creates a copy)

3- reopen FCP and the library you were showing before (that copy which had those files showing in red).

3a (recommended) rename this library - say, "first project-recovered" or whatever; avoid the timestamp, which can make it confusing (just think how the backups of that will look...)

4-Do File->Relink Files... choose All, and then Locate... and choose the folder you created above.

Jun 3, 2022 9:54 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, Tom,

>> What happens when you open the real library?

everything looks pretty normal

I can scrub clips in Bin and Storyline normal

If I click on anything in a Storyline I get instant crash (my crash log post linked above)

I am unable to delete or move anything in my Storyline

>> Where is the media stored?

everything was default

about two weeks ago, changed my storage locations to get the Render files off my boot SSD (an external SSD)

but my original media stayed in place, my render files copied over

the media I added after the change copied to the locations on my external noted in screenshot below - all my media looks accounted in both locations:

>>Where is the library bundle stored

the original Library remain in it default location:

>> other drive? How's it connected and formatted?

>> other drive? How's it connected and formatted?

Jun 3, 2022 9:26 AM in response to -g

I believe my original boot System and FCPx are intact and functioning

because I copied my previously cloned original Library and Projects into my original User and it opens and runs with no issues

I have already reset my preferences

the original Library (with the problem) also has the crash problem when I copied and opened it on another Mojave machine

Jun 3, 2022 10:29 AM in response to -g

This is weird. The application says the media is in a folder called FCPX-render-files_F. If the media was in the library it would just say In Library. The render files are in a cache bundle that's in a folder called FCPx-cache. Neither of those are in Movies, which is in Users on a system that's running on iMac1014_PCie. That's not an external drive, or is it? You wrote "get the Render files off my boot SSD (an external SSD)" I guess the FCPX-render-files_F and FCPx-cache folders are on STORAGE-2TB-PCIe.

If you've got the most recent backup running with the media correctly without crashing, I would get rid of the original library, rename the backup to something different (without a date/time stamp) and keep working.

Jun 3, 2022 11:07 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

>> application says the media is in a folder called FCPX-render-files_F.

that is correct

about two weeks ago, changed my storage locations to get the Render files off my boot SSD (an external SSD)

but my original media stayed in place (in my User> Movies> Library, my render files copied over (to the external)

the media I added after the change copied to the locations on my external noted in screenshot below - all my media looks accounted in both locations

UPDATE

I was able to RELINK my latest good FCP BACKUP and all my projects and media now seem back on track (minus a couple hours lost work I can live with)

I gave FCPx FULL DISK ACCESS

I will come back and mark this SOLVED after I get my boot SSD Erased and Restored and my Library back in order ...

thanks Tom and Luis for all your help ... you got me back to work

Jun 3, 2022 11:20 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom:

>> I would get rid of the original library, rename the backup to something different (without a date/time stamp) and keep working

just a reminder (I'm still working on cleaning up) - my original corrupted Library still holds my original stills and clips - and aliases to stuff I added on on the External you pointed out

I am wondering if New Library> Library Properties> Media> CONSOLIDATE

will move all my media video clips and stills from the original corrupted Library and the external SSD

into my new Library

or if I am better off copying everything over to the new Library and Relinking them (before trashing my corrupted Library)

Help with FINAL CUT BACKUPS - all Files Projects Red (missing)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.