Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No malware? Why sudden increase in Data use?

Ok, I’m aware of the belief that you can’t get malware on a iphone if you are using a non jail brake,no side loaded app device but that is true for mine and I’m suddenly using incredible amounts of data. There no way I use 20gigs of Data each month for years & suddenly I’m using 46gigs with no change in program? I got a 2 gig add on to service & my phone ran through it by the time I woke up the next morning. It seemed to be from snap.But then I noticed other apps were using crazy amounts.background app refresh off. Couple of apps off loaded. I get a lot of google alerts saying they’ve detected sus activity coming from my phone ad Make me do a captcha.Haaaalp meee!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 4:37 AM

To see how much cellular data you've used, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data instead. Scroll down to find which apps are using cellular data. If you don't want an app to use cellular data, you can turn it off for that app.

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2023 4:37 AM in response to Bitabadapple

To see how much cellular data you've used, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data instead. Scroll down to find which apps are using cellular data. If you don't want an app to use cellular data, you can turn it off for that app.

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)

Jan 15, 2023 4:38 AM in response to Bitabadapple

Bitabadapple wrote:

Ok, I’m aware of the belief that you can’t get malware on a iphone if you are using a non jail brake,

You are absolutely right!

Keep the iPhone updated to the latest iOS always and never Jailbreak. That's it.

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware, unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed them on your device or/and have Jailbroken

Jan 15, 2023 6:43 AM in response to SravanKrA

I appreciate your time and willingness to help. I was checking my cellular data often. Because of the alarming change. I found Snapchat was to blame so I went showthrough the recently added Friends and started deleting them. Came across one that I tried to delete and it would pop up o my friends list.I reported it but then I said screw it and deleted the app. Now I think I’m being paranoid because there is an astronomy app icon, when i search my phone I can’t get Astronomy to show up and I can’t seem to delete it. Was it part of the 16 update? I don’t recall downloading Astronomy

Jan 19, 2023 9:25 AM in response to Bitabadapple

Bitabadapple wrote:

Now I think I’m being paranoid because there is an astronomy app icon, when i search my phone I can’t get Astronomy to show up and I can’t seem to delete it. Was it part of the 16 update? I don’t recall downloading Astronomy

"Astronomy" (and "Weather") are two new, dynamic wallpapers that were included with iOS 16. They are part of the iOS.

No malware? Why sudden increase in Data use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.