Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Original file didn't have audio, but the new file does.'

I'm trying to relink some clips on the timeline. I keep getting this pop-up (see attached). I'm just trying to relink to the original clips (in the Final Cut Original Media folder). The clip in the Browser and the clip in Final Cut Original Media should be identical. I've never created alternate versions. They both have audio tracks. I'm working with an Optimized/Original, not a Proxy, timeline.

Any ideas why I might be getting this pop-up?

This is FXPX 10.6.5

The previous version of FCPX allowed me to use a shortcut keystroke to 'relink media'. I notice that shortcut keystroke has been removed.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 10:48 AM

In you say "the Final Cut Original Media folder"... is that inside the library? I suppose not, but can you confirm that?

Regarding the shortcut: I don't have an older version, but this is surely due to the fact that now there is a submenu:

You can add a shortcut really easily yourself, though. In the Final Cut Pro Commands window, the names appear as "Relink Files" and "Relink Proxy Files":

Now look:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2023 10:48 AM in response to Ben Low

In you say "the Final Cut Original Media folder"... is that inside the library? I suppose not, but can you confirm that?

Regarding the shortcut: I don't have an older version, but this is surely due to the fact that now there is a submenu:

You can add a shortcut really easily yourself, though. In the Final Cut Pro Commands window, the names appear as "Relink Files" and "Relink Proxy Files":

Now look:

Mar 7, 2023 10:56 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

YOU: In you say "the Final Cut Original Media folder"... is that inside the library? I suppose not, but can you confirm that?

ME: It's an external drive Media folder (not in the Library). I tend not to store my media in the library. Maybe it's changed, but in the past the bigger the Library the slower it seemed to load at start up. Small library = fast load. Please disabuse me of that if I've got it wrong.

So these files I can't relink are in a separate media folder OUTSIDE the Library.

(And thank you for the tip on the Command window. I've hardly ever used it. But will now. I recently had to relink hundreds of files in separate folders and that shortcut saved my bacon.)

'Original file didn't have audio, but the new file does.'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.