iPad Photos - Can only select, can no longer tap to view

I upgraded my iPad Pro to iOS 16.3.1 this morning. Since the update, I can no longer tap a photo to view it in full screen on my iPad. Instead, tapping a photo automatically “selects” the photo for additional action (sending via Messages, e-mail, etc.). What happened to the tap to view photos in full screen mode option? Is this a bug in the latest version of iOS? My iPhone is not experiencing this issue, and I can’t find anything under Settings on my iPad to change this.

iPad Pro (1st generation)

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 11:39 AM

I been having the same problem for these last updates too! It’s really disturbs the workflow, and as said even if you restart it the same problem appears again after a short period of time. Did anyone hear any news on this?

21 replies

Jul 19, 2023 6:31 AM in response to markwmsn

I started having the same issue just yesterday. I don't have the magic keyboard.

The temporary solution with the hold then tap works but this is annoying.

Went to settings, general, shut down and powered it off and turned it back on. It started working again. I will see if it will start doing that again later.

May 5, 2023 12:14 AM in response to dpt317

Come on Apple - this needs fixing. This has been happening for the last several updates. The only back door I can find to open, and then edit if required is to ‘select’ just the one photo you want. Then tap and hold to get the menu options. There is no option to open, but while this menu is open, another tap on the photo will open it, and allows access to the edit selection. This is crazy, especially if you have several photos you want to look through!

As mentioned previously, a full shutdown and restart gets it working normally again, but sometimes only for a few minutes!

Anyone…..?

iPad Photos - Can only select, can no longer tap to view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.