See which e-Mail adress was sent to

Hi,

The title says it pretty well. I've recently switched to the Apple Mail App on iOS and I've noticed that it isn't clear about which email address a given email was sent to. I have a couple of email addresses (e.g. Gmail allows multiple Email adresses in one account) and they are in my contact. So, it shows that all messages are sent to Me (then when I click on it, it takes me to my own Contact details) but I can't seem to find out how to see exactly which email it was sent to. If I use gmail app on my android mobile phone, I can see exactly to which of the many email adresses I have was adressed.

I'm sure this is just me not yet knowing the program but I could really use some help trying to figure this out. I'm getting some emails on multiple addresses and on others, I can't tell which email address is getting billed for things.

Any help or info would be amazing. Thanks so much in advance!

p.s. I am not looking at 'All Inboxes' within the Mail app.

Posted on May 9, 2023 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 6:26 PM

The suggested solution is far from seamless... actually I think it goes against everything Apple is about.

Exactly, viewing the header of an email and exactly which address the email was sent to needs to be added to the app. I have 6 different accounts and it's not feasible to search through all of them just to see which address an incoming mail was sent to. This is basic, c'mon Apple, fix this limitation.

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2023 6:26 PM in response to Metard79

The suggested solution is far from seamless... actually I think it goes against everything Apple is about.

Exactly, viewing the header of an email and exactly which address the email was sent to needs to be added to the app. I have 6 different accounts and it's not feasible to search through all of them just to see which address an incoming mail was sent to. This is basic, c'mon Apple, fix this limitation.

Nov 26, 2023 7:12 AM in response to LotusPilot

Switching each individual inbox is NOT the solution, it’s a ******/lazy workaround that involves Apple

doing zero work and zero customer service.

the whole problem is I don’t know which inbox to even check! I don’t know which email it’s sent to! Why should I have to go in to all my inboxes on a treasure hunt? The problem is Apple’s to fix, or we fix it by using another app, or an android phone. Lazy idiots, fix your problems or lose customers.

Jan 30, 2024 3:36 PM in response to rona06

I have a solution.

In the Contacts app, remove any email addresses listed on your contact card. Then make a new contact for each of your email addresses, using the email address both as the contact’s first name and in the email field.

This way, you will always see the sent-to email address at the top of every email 🌸

May 9, 2023 3:12 AM in response to rona06

You have encountered one of the many limitations of the native iOS/iPadOS Mail App. When you tap the addressee’s name, the associated contact card is opened - and this may have multiple email addresses associated with it - and not the actual email address to which the mail-message was sent.

Unlike many other Mail Apps, the native Mail App doesn’t have a facility to view the raw address header that would easily identify both the sender and recipient email address.

When looking at the All inboxes category, this limitation of the Mail App is compounded - as, by definition, you are looking at all of your configured inboxes.

The only method to have confidence of the recipient email address is to view the inbox of each of your email accounts, one at a time. Your native Mail App will show each account and mailbox independently - as well as the aggregate views of All inboxes, All Drafts, All Archive, All Sent, All Bins etc.

You can enable and disable each of the available mailbox views from the Mail App sidebar. If hidden, tap the sidebar icon at top-left of the Mail App window to expose the sidebar - then tap the Edit button at top-right of the sidebar. You can now enable/disable and re-order the mailbox views to meet you needs. Tap Done when you are finished editing.

See which e-Mail adress was sent to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.