Stop iphone prompt allow this device to access photos and videos on Windows

This was a closed topic I saw, but none of the answers worked for me and I did not want to install iTunes just to charge my phone on my Windows PC.

The fix for me was to:

Plug in your phone to the computer

If you are not already signed in as admin, open CMD prompt as an Administrator

type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open device manager as admin

Locate and expand the Portable Devices section.

Look for your connected device (such as Apple iPhone), then right-click on the device name and choose DISABLE DEVICE

The prompt stopped and the phone is still able to charge.

"I routinely plug my iPhone 7 into my PC to charge while I'm working. Every single time I get a pop-up asking whether I want to allow or not allow the device to access photos & videos, which is highly annoying. I don't think this is a bug per se, just a feature issue. Are there any settings I can change to stop this happening? Basically I want to be able to set it to 'always allow' or 'never allow' but there don't appear to be any settings for this like there are with "trust computer"."

Posted on May 11, 2023 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 10:27 AM

bastapastas wrote:

This was a closed topic I saw, but none of the answers worked for me and I did not want to install iTunes just to charge my phone on my Windows PC.

The fix for me was to:
Look for your connected device (such as Apple iPhone), then right-click on the device name and choose DISABLE DEVICE

"I routinely plug my iPhone 7 into my PC to charge while I'm working. Every single time I get a pop-up asking whether I want to allow or not allow the device to access photos & videos, which is highly annoying. I don't think this is a bug per se, just a feature issue. Are there any settings I can change to stop this happening? Basically I want to be able to set it to 'always allow' or 'never allow' but there don't appear to be any settings for this like there are with "trust computer"."

Does it also bug/annoy you when you insert a cd or thumb drive and your window pc ask what you want to do with this file?

It is your PC asking to access your phone data, not Apple.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2023 10:27 AM in response to bastapastas

bastapastas wrote:

The fix for me was to:

Does it also bug/annoy you when you insert a cd or thumb drive and your window pc ask what you want to do with this file?

It is your PC asking to access your phone data, not Apple.

Jan 5, 2024 3:06 PM in response to razmee209

Concur - I searched the community for just this answer and didn't find yours, unfortunately. But this is exactly what my spidey-sense suggested after one member mentioned device manager and updating drivers. That did not work, but disabling the iPad worked fine. BONUS ROUND: My iPhone was unaffected by this! I don't use my iPad to take many pictures, but I do use the iPhone from time to time. This differentiation may be important to others. The iPad can now remain connected and "alive" but charging as needed (using for security camera access), and when I wake my PC from sleep mode, it doesn't disturb the iPad. Winning stuff all around - thanks @razmee209!!

Stop iphone prompt allow this device to access photos and videos on Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.