Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

WD Passport not showing up on MacBook Air M2

Hi! I recently bought a Macbook Air M2. I couldn't get my old WD Discovery My Passport to show up on the laptop whenever I plug it in using an Apple USB-C Multiport Adapter. It's not on the desktop nor the sidebars where the USBs normally show up when plugged in. I already downloaded the WD Discovery App from the WD website. Pls help!

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on May 14, 2023 7:06 PM

3 replies

May 14, 2023 7:21 PM in response to raymundtanchuling

raymundtanchuling Said:

"WD Passport not showing up on MacBook Air M2: Hi! I recently bought a Macbook Air M2. I couldn't get my old WD Discovery My Passport to show up on the laptop whenever I plug it in using an Apple USB-C Multiport Adapter.[...]"

-------

Getting a Hard Drive to Be Seen:

Three Things to Try...

A. Start with a Restart:

Restart your Mac, and see if it then is fixed.

B. Refresh Finder:

1. Open: a new Finder window
  2. Go To: Apple menu
  3. Select: Force Quit...
  4. Select: Finder
  5. Click: Refresh button

C. Unmount, then Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode. (Silicon Chip or Intel Clip): Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

NOTE: If you intend on using her for Time Machine Backup. then you need to format this accordingly. For a M2 MacBook Air, you need to user APFS for the format type.

Jul 13, 2023 3:20 PM in response to jlindz16

jlindz16 Said:

Hey! Just wondering if you found a fix to your issue? I'm having the same problem

———-

I’m not the OP, but did you try what I mentioned in my reply?

If you have an Intel Chip, try…

Resetting your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

WD Passport not showing up on MacBook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.