Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can non-Apple device or web page track an airtag?

I've had the airtag(s) for a while but frankly have not put them to use much. I have to admit that my only Apple device is an Ipad mini. But it does not go on trips with me. I have an Android phone and plenty of laptops or desktops. Is there anyway a non-Apple device (or a friend with an iphone) can locate my airtag if my luggage or backback or other attached device got lost?

I know Android has Tracker Detect. But that does not allow me to track my potentially lost item. So I was wondering if an Apple user (I know more than a few) could track MY Airtag or if there's a web page that would allow me to log on with my Apple ID and then track my airtag item(s)?

I understand that Apple wants the somewhat closed system but I was wondering about work-arounds.

Thanks in advance

AirTag

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 4:46 PM

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, Apple's Find My network, which includes AirTag tracking, is primarily designed to work within the Apple ecosystem. It relies on the Find My app, which is native to Apple devices running iOS or macOS. This means that using a non-Apple device or web page to track an AirTag directly is not officially supported by Apple.

While Android devices can detect the presence of an AirTag through features like the Tracker Detect app you mentioned, they do not have the ability to track or locate the AirTag itself. The Tracker Detect feature is designed to alert Android users when an unknown AirTag is in proximity, helping to prevent unauthorized tracking.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 4:46 PM in response to fjkhex

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, Apple's Find My network, which includes AirTag tracking, is primarily designed to work within the Apple ecosystem. It relies on the Find My app, which is native to Apple devices running iOS or macOS. This means that using a non-Apple device or web page to track an AirTag directly is not officially supported by Apple.

While Android devices can detect the presence of an AirTag through features like the Tracker Detect app you mentioned, they do not have the ability to track or locate the AirTag itself. The Tracker Detect feature is designed to alert Android users when an unknown AirTag is in proximity, helping to prevent unauthorized tracking.

Jun 11, 2023 5:43 AM in response to fjkhex

Re: “… So, NOBODY else like even my trusted iphone owning friend can search for MY airtagged lost luggage? …

At present, that is correct.

However, changes to this feature were recently announced for iOS 17.

You can read the announcement here:

(about 2/3rds of the way down the page, in the section, Additional features in iOS 17 include:)

iOS 17 makes iPhone more personal and intuitive - Apple

Jun 10, 2023 5:48 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks to both...

@dylanl7

So, NOBODY else like even my trusted iphone owning friend can search for MY airtagged lost luggage? More restricted than I hoped but I can understand keeping a tight rein on such devices.

Hmm, can an older, used iphone only connected to a wifi network find airtags or does it have to be on a carrier? Oh, wait, then I would have to unpair with my ipad (which stays at home, so maybe not so terrible!)

Can non-Apple device or web page track an airtag?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.