Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

PKPASS files can not be opened PLEASE FIX YOUR ISSUE ASAP

Pkpass files can't be added to Wallet

I received a pkpass file with a boarding pass via e-mail.

The attachment can't be opened/added to the Wallet application.

When I open Wallet, the only option to add is for bank cards or transport cards, I don't have the option to add any other cards to it. I just click on it and nothing happens, it seems recognised from the iOS software, it is Apple wallet file but can not be opened at all cost to the application Apple Wallet. I tried with changing the name and sending it again to icloud email but nothing worked

Device iPhone 13 Pro Max

iOS 16.5

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 1:09 AM

OMG, I think you are not reading correctly my issue. Take a look again instead of giving general information. I did not requested general information how to add it since I have that icon BUT WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT ONCE YOU CLICK THE F ICON: ADD TO APPLE WALLET, IT DOES NOT WORK AND NOTHING HAPPENS

9 replies

Jul 28, 2023 6:57 AM in response to tsvetomir83

Hi,

I was facing a similar challenge with a train ticket. After trying a few things, I realized that there are multiple passes that have been combined together (2 tickets in my case). In this case, the extension of .pkpass would be .pkpasses which is not readable by the wallet app. If you have the same extension. Please follow below.

Change .pkpasses to .zip or .rar then extract (use a computer). Inside the folder, you should be having multiple pass files with the extension .pkpass. Try adding these from your iPhone (from email) and this should work (worked for me).

Jun 11, 2023 12:56 AM in response to tsvetomir83

This is a user-to-user public forum.

Apple Support Community Forum

This is Apple Support Community forum, for user-to-user interaction for information & idea sharing between users, if need be, extend support on technical know-how in handling Apple products from more experienced fellow users, This is not the right forum to discuss with Apple Inc.

Jul 2, 2023 4:53 PM in response to SravanKrA

Hmmm that is kind of weird. The issuer is actual official reseller of yours. They had sent the actual email. My father got the same file on older version of our IOS and there was no issue with sending the mail to be too. So I can also have it on my iPhone, where it had been added successfully but then I removed his.In addition so I can add mine from the same reseller of yours. Yet, I did update my iPhone 13 Pro Max to the latest iOS but still does not work to open the same thing that you responded to me. I am afraid to say it is from the actual software but Apple has never has the same functionality to work all features in EU, the same as United States of America.

Great job Apple,

Great products but now I know why your competitors are still on your market

Therefore please keep your devices working properly with simple features in your software, don't blame the card/pass issuer

Jul 2, 2023 6:05 PM in response to tsvetomir83

It isn’t Apple’s issue, it is YOUR issue or an issue with the business that sent the PKPASS document. You don’t add a pass by opening the wallet; you tap on the Add to Wallet button on the pass you want to add. When you tap Add to Wallet the iPhone sends an authorization request to the issuer, and the issuer must reply with an authorization confirmation.

On your side: Are you using a VPN connection? Is your Country & Region set to the address on the document you are trying to add? Either of these can invalidate the pass or cause the authorization to fail.

Is the pass still valid? Are the dates on it correct?

If all of those are OK you need to contact the issuer of the pass.

May 8, 2024 9:50 PM in response to tsvetomir83

First, a rant...I tried to cmd-click a "similar Question" and instead of opening the link in a new tab it pushed to my current page there...and wiped out my entire post. (Thanks Apple. I've discovered more and more websites where cmd-click does NOT open the link in a new tab where it most certainly used to. Makes no sense that all these websites have suddenly decided to override that function

Now, I'll try to recreate my question.

_______

I have the same issue (as do many others it would appear). I was sent two .pkpass files via email (along with a PDF file...thankfully). Yet no matter what I do there is never an "add to wallet" option presented. Only option is to save it as a file to my download folder. Help usually points to a web page where one has the option. Mine aren't on a web page. This is one of those really cool features when it works...and extremely frustrating when it doesn't.

PKPASS files can not be opened PLEASE FIX YOUR ISSUE ASAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.