Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Having problem importing old XML file from an older version of FCPX, help!

I'm getting this message when I'm trying to import an XML file.

id r438: /fcpxml[1]/resources[1]/asset[421].)

Can anyone help me?

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 10:15 AM

Please read carefully!!!

I did not say "Delete line 7475", I said to remove the .icloud extension from the file in that line.

The line in question was (this is just one very long line):

<media-rep kind="original-media" sig="CE29E829D52D3B3C9C810CB2E79DB6A5" src="file:///Users/jonathanregondolajr/Desktop/Music%20For%20Laptop/intros/.love-is-beginning-imaginary-future-musicbed-licensed.wav.icloud">

and should become as shown below:

<media-rep kind="original-media" sig="CE29E829D52D3B3C9C810CB2E79DB6A5" src="file:///Users/jonathanregondolajr/Desktop/Music%20For%20Laptop/intros/.love-is-beginning-imaginary-future-musicbed-licensed.wav">

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 10:15 AM in response to nold32

Please read carefully!!!

I did not say "Delete line 7475", I said to remove the .icloud extension from the file in that line.

The line in question was (this is just one very long line):

<media-rep kind="original-media" sig="CE29E829D52D3B3C9C810CB2E79DB6A5" src="file:///Users/jonathanregondolajr/Desktop/Music%20For%20Laptop/intros/.love-is-beginning-imaginary-future-musicbed-licensed.wav.icloud">

and should become as shown below:

<media-rep kind="original-media" sig="CE29E829D52D3B3C9C810CB2E79DB6A5" src="file:///Users/jonathanregondolajr/Desktop/Music%20For%20Laptop/intros/.love-is-beginning-imaginary-future-musicbed-licensed.wav">

Jun 20, 2023 9:48 AM in response to nold32

For some reason, that particular asset refers to a file with name

.love-is-beginning-imaginary-future-musicbed-licensed.wav.icloud

Two strange things in there:

1) the file name begins with a period - files like these are hidden by default in macOS, and that is not what one normally would use for a media file

2) the file has extension .icloud - this is completely new to me.

The word "licensed" as part of the file name also is unusual.

Do you recognize this name?

If one were to remove .icloud from the name, at least it would look like an audio file - ending in .wav

Jun 20, 2023 9:55 AM in response to nold32

I tried importing the xml as it was, and, not surprisingly, it gave me the same error.

Then I manually edited the file, and removed that .icloud extension in line 7475. (*)

The xml then loaded and it seems ok (of course, all the media shows as offline, but I did get a project called "Documentary", with a duration of about 1 hour and 11 minutes.

(*) To edit the xml:

1) In the Finder, control-click and choose Show Package Contents

2) Open the info.xml file in a text editor, like TextMate or TextEdit: control-click, Open With, and choose the application

3) Make the change in line 7475 and Command-S to save.

Having problem importing old XML file from an older version of FCPX, help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.