Apple Watch Series 8-9 is too dim at night

Even on the brightest setting, it is so dark at night i cant read anything. Getting very close to just returning it. This isnt acceptable if i can only comfortably use this watch in good light. How is this an issue in 2023????

I was shocked i couldn’t manually crank up the brightness if i wanted. Literally every modern device allows this except this one device. Steve Jobs would throw a fit if he saw this.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 11:37 AM

^^^ Do not complain, this is 'new feature' of Series 9, so that the display can go down to just 1 nit of brightness. Apple invested in this tech and now needs to show it off to everyone.

But seriously, just bought 2 Series 9 watches for my wife and myself and already regret (both coming from Series 4). Maximum brightness level that is possible to set up, persomnally I'd consider absolute minimum of what it should be allowed to be set. Hey Apple, bring us back ability to see the time in darkness! I do not care about 5 minutes of lost batery capacity due to power drain, if I can't use the watch at all, because I can't see anything on the screen!

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2023 11:37 AM in response to trenken

^^^ Do not complain, this is 'new feature' of Series 9, so that the display can go down to just 1 nit of brightness. Apple invested in this tech and now needs to show it off to everyone.

But seriously, just bought 2 Series 9 watches for my wife and myself and already regret (both coming from Series 4). Maximum brightness level that is possible to set up, persomnally I'd consider absolute minimum of what it should be allowed to be set. Hey Apple, bring us back ability to see the time in darkness! I do not care about 5 minutes of lost batery capacity due to power drain, if I can't use the watch at all, because I can't see anything on the screen!

Sep 29, 2023 7:28 PM in response to trenken

Mine if the same way. Brightness all the way up, text as big as it goes and bold text on. I’m in my 40s and had cataract surgery, my doctor says my cataract lenses are not good in low light, I just paid $800 for a watch that won’t let me increase the brightness to a level I can see.

you better fix this or you will only be able to sell to the young generation which doesn’t have as much disposable income as the older generations

Sep 28, 2023 2:42 AM in response to trenken

I've got the same problem. the automtic brightness control dims my series 9 when there is no ambient light so low that i can't read it anymore. As soon as i e.g. point a flashlight at the watch it turns brightness up and i can read it.

This is unacceptable. There are plenty of persons with this problem.

Please provide a setting to control brightness in dark environment!

Sep 30, 2023 7:17 AM in response to trenken

Having the same night dimness issue with Watch series 9. My series 4 is much brighter at night and I can easily read texts and emails with it but impossible with series 9 even though the screen is larger and supposedly double the brightness. Called support and they checked all settings and ensured the watch was working properly but couldn't help past that. Poor design.

Dec 28, 2023 11:26 AM in response to trenken

I just upgraded for Apple Watch 4 to 9. The 9 is too dim in darkness to be useful. It is impossible to even see the time while driving at night. There should be an Accessibility feature to compensate for those of us with vision issues. I do not have this issue with the 4 and the battery performance is just fine for a while day usage.

Oct 8, 2023 7:57 PM in response to Artyex

I ended up returning the Series 9 watch since the screen was too dim to read in low-light environments and there is no way to adjust this. I had the brightness on the Series 9 set to maximum. I'm going to continue to use my Series 4 which is very readable in all lighting conditions. I hope this problem with the Series 9 can be fixed in the future as the battery life for my Series 4 is starting to deteriorate, it has a cracked screen, and it becoming sluggish. I can read the screen however!

Dec 30, 2023 6:29 PM in response to trenken

^^^ I just bought a series 9 41mm today and noticed that the watch was SUPER dark while sitting in my living room with the lights off.

I came here to find some answers and it seems like it’s not just my watch!

it must be a new feature and I DO NOT like it!! Coming from a series 3 watch!

it’s almost like it’s an automatic brightness setting that you cannot shut off.

Apple please fix it.

Jan 1, 2024 10:40 AM in response to trenken

I’m having the same issue as well on a Series 9 that I’ve just bought. Great most of the time, but far too dim in low light even with brightness turned up to the maximum setting. Surely they have to fix this. It makes reading the screen very difficult. If it’s intentional, it’s very bizarre. I just want an option to turn off auto brightness.

Dec 10, 2023 6:07 AM in response to trenken

I 150 percent agree, this is sad that Apple has no sympathy for those with eye sight issues nor desire to assist with accessibility issues by giving options. Just make the auto dim a setting switch and let us decide if battery life is more important than seeing the watch face. Sad really.

You used to be able to bring up the phone app and press the keypad option to brighten the face so you could see it. Even that is gone now in the later OS release. Inconsiderate.

Dec 17, 2023 9:58 AM in response to DaddoRW

I just tested this on my older series 7, and in watchOS9, the rotate up from a black screen in Theater mode still works as described.

If scrolling your crown up in watchOS 10 is showing the screen up to show the complications, that means your screen was on to begin with.

To Clarify: I have an automation that turns on "Theater Mode" after I go to bed. This makes the Apple Watch always on feature turn off. When it is in Theater Mode, and the screen is black, you can rotate the Crown Up slowly to brighten the display one click at a time. Then from there you can tap the screen and the brightness setting will remain.

This rotation feature only turns the brightness up to the max that you have it set in Settings > Display.

Without theater mode on, I found that activating the "Flashlight" tool, and increasing its brightness will also increase the watches brightness if in a dark area. When you turn off the flashlight (screen bright white), the brightness of the screen setting is left at the brightest you had it set in Settings > Display.

Good luck!

Oct 5, 2023 7:57 AM in response to trenken

Had The 7 it was great no complaints. Just wanted to upgrade to latest and greatest new one but the unfixable low light it's a big issue I can't see at all. Not sure if this happened in the latest update or not I did update my 7 and reset it so I don't know it terrible and I'm regretting this purchase. FIX this Apple

Apple Watch Series 8-9 is too dim at night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.