Apple TV 4K screensaver not working

For some time I have used one of my albums in My Photos (using iCloud) as screensaver. It stopped working (spinning wheel). In due course I changed albums, reverted to the original and it was ok for a while. Not now.

I have now tried it with Apple Photos and I get nothing - not even when preview is selected in settings, not even. spinning wheel.

Any advice please?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 9:35 AM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2023 11:13 AM in response to No-techy

Hello No-techy,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that your screen saver for your Apple TV is not working as expected. We are happy to help.

Please try the steps as listed here: Create a photo screen saver on Apple TV - Apple Support

"Set a screen saver

1. Open the Photos app  on Apple TV, then navigate to the Shared Albums or Albums category in the menu bar.
  2. Note: If you don’t see the Shared Albums category, go to Settings > Users and Accounts > [default user account name], then select Photos and turn on Shared Albums.
  3. Select an album, then select Set as Screen Saver and confirm.

Change the photos that appear in the screen saver

1. Open Settings  on Apple TV.
  2. Go to General > Screen Saver > Type, then select My Photos.
  3. Do either of the following:
    • Choose to show all photos from recent activity or favorites: Select either Activity or Favorites.
    • Choose to show only a shared or personal album: Select an album in the shared or albums category.

To adjust other screen saver settings, see Use Apple TV screen savers."

These steps may help. Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Aug 1, 2023 8:24 AM in response to green500

Thank you green500.

I had done all of this, successfully in the past. But it no longer worked, nor did my attempt (as a test) to substitute the option of using Apple's own photos.

However, after browsing around, I did a Restart. And now, I think all is well again. I do not know whether or why this was a solution as it gets switched off after each use.

I should have mentioned OS is 16.5 because I am set on auto update.

Thanks again

Apple TV 4K screensaver not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.