What happens to your stored emails if you delete an icloud email alias?

I want to remove an email alias but do not want to lose my saved emails. I am worried if I "delete" that alias it will delete all of my stored emails.

MacBook Air 15″

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 8:14 AM

4 replies

Sep 6, 2023 8:48 AM in response to chrisfromga

Hi chrisfromga,

As shown on the page we shared, it only mentions that new emails being sent to the deleted alias will be returned to sender.

As far as the current emails received, it's not mentioned. It does make sense they would be kept, as they actually are sent to the main email account, just sent using an alias.

However, if you have important emails saved, we'd advise to forward them to your main iCloud email account before deleting the alias, to be safe.

Take care!

Sep 6, 2023 7:54 AM in response to chrisfromga

Hi chrisfromga,

To delete an email alias, we recommend that you try the steps here: Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section titled "Turn off, turn on, or delete an alias."

You can turn an email alias on or off at any time. You can also delete email aliases that you no longer want to use. While turning off an email alias is temporary, deleting it is permanent. When an alias is turned off or deleted, email sent to that alias is returned to the sender.

1. In Mail on iCloud.com, click the Settings button at the top of the Mailboxes list, then choose Preferences.
2. Click Accounts, select an iCloud Mail alias in the list, then do any of the following:
* Turn off an alias: Select “Disable alias.”
* Turn on an alias: Deselect “Disable alias.”
* Delete an alias: Click “Delete alias,” then click Delete.
3. Click Done.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you how to delete an email alias.

Also, please note that "you can’t delete or turn off a primary iCloud Mail address. You can’t use an alias to create a separate Apple ID, and an email alias can’t be converted to a primary iCloud Mail address."

Please do not hesitate to reach back out to us if you have questions or need any additional support.  

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

What happens to your stored emails if you delete an icloud email alias?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.