PRINT DIALOG: "you must be an administrator to delete this job"

I see this was asked with 250 "me too's" but nobody ever offered a solution? This is happening to me repeatedly: the job won't print because it cannot find the printer. The printer is in deep sleep. That's an issue of its own: but the reason I'm here is that Mac won't let me delete the print job as it thinks I'm not an Administrator. Obviously, I am (the only owner and user on this computer).

To reset, I have to hard shut down the printer device (unplug+replug). But then it keeps happening.

MacBook Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.2. Brother printer.

TIA!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 8:56 AM

Here's what worked for me:

• System Settings
  • Printers & Scanners
  • Select naughty printer
  • Select "Share this printer on the network"

Hope this helps someone else!

Similar questions

23 replies

Sep 13, 2023 3:46 AM in response to ibix

Have you tried running Terminal and typing "cancel -a" (without quotes) and hitting return.

This will clear the print queue.

I can't help as to why this is happening other than offer the obvious things like check the print driver is up to date, check that the print driver software has access to the files it needs in the "Privacy" settings. For completeness I'd also check in System Settings > Users that you really are the only user and are an admin.

Apr 29, 2024 1:09 PM in response to HoyaMama

Firstly, thank you.

Secondly, in general, this new permissions stuff in MacOS is unintuitive. Why do I want to share this printer from my computer? It's already on the network. Makes zero sense.

Another example, if you don't allow an app access to your computer's microphone, then your audio interface doesn't work. I want to give a third-party app access to my audio interface, not my computer's microphone - why would I want that?

And finally, searching for unintuitive permissions errors like this is a huge a waste of time. Truly mind-numbing sorry.

Sep 13, 2023 8:28 PM in response to ibix

Make sure you are still an admin since I have seen some posts on these forums where an admin account has been turned into a Standard user account after an OS update. Check the "Users & Groups" System Settings to confirm your user is still shown as an "admin".

Have you rebooted the computer? Sometimes a computer just needs to be rebooted once in a while to clear things out.

You can also try re-adding the printer...you can even leave the current printer setup & add a new setup making sure to give it a different name so that you can distinguish them when you go to print.

PRINT DIALOG: "you must be an administrator to delete this job"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.