AirTag sharing not working iOS 17

I want to share an airtag with my wife, bit its not working. We are both on ios17, we are also family sharing in icloud.

I have tried both her phonenumber and apple id when trying to share, but both dont work.

After sharing, her name is on the share airtag tile in find my, but behind her name it says not shared. And when I select her name it says: airtag cant be shared because of an unexpected error, delete this person and try again. (Not this exact text, this is translated as my phone is not in english)

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2023 10:55 AM

Tried that, doesn’t work. It lets me share with another account but when looking from another account phone, it shows “No location found” (while I have both the phones on the same desk). Upon clicking ‘Play sound’ it shows “Airtag Not Reachable Move around to connect”. I just bought the tags today and already disappointed xd

Similar questions

77 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2023 10:55 AM in response to Mixotic

Tried that, doesn’t work. It lets me share with another account but when looking from another account phone, it shows “No location found” (while I have both the phones on the same desk). Upon clicking ‘Play sound’ it shows “Airtag Not Reachable Move around to connect”. I just bought the tags today and already disappointed xd

Sep 24, 2023 9:42 AM in response to stevenfromleiden

I was having this issue and found a simple solution posted my MrL09 on Reddit. Worked for me and many others...

Here are the steps to share:

1. Select the item to share
  2. In the Share AirTag screen with the contact list, hit the (+) in the top right corner
  3. Search for the contact you want to share with (note: searching from the address field doesn't work. you need to search from the field you see after hitting the plus)
  4. Open the contact card, and select the phone number to share with
  5. Proceed to share

Order of phone numbers on the contact card seems to matter!

I think the bug is somewhere in the contacts. I still had a problem adding my daughter to a tag using this method. She had her Apple Watch cell line listed first on her contact card, and I had to remove it and make sure the iPhone was the first phone number listed. I think the sharing system might default to whatever the first number listed is, and if it's not a compatible device you will get the error, regardless of other iCloud connections.

Dec 14, 2023 10:41 AM in response to stevenfromleiden

I have the same issue, I can successfully share an AirTag with another user, but that other user can’t see the AirTag, the Other user gets an “AirTag Not Reachable” or “No location found” status. In addition, if the Other user is near an AirTag in motion (e.g., we're traveling together while the shared AirTag is nearby), then they get the menacing "Unknown AirTag" alerts, even though the AirTag shows up as shared in the Other's "Find My".

Here are the devices used:

• AirTag, new from box, purchased a few weeks ago

• Me: iPhone 13, iOS 17.1.2 (I’ll use “Me” here to describe my phone)

• Other: iPhone 13, iOS 17.1.2 (I’ll use “Other" here to describe the person’s phone who I want to share the AirTag with)

• Other user location shared with Me in “Find My/People” and vice versa, with no issue, as “People” we can see each other; Other user can see AirTag in my “Find My/Items”, but can't see the location of AirTag

Here are the various troubleshooting steps I tried, none worked:

• Use “+” from Contacts to select an email or phone number directly when sharing, vs. choosing from suggested users

• Updated both Me “My Card” and Other “My Card” to use a “+1”, "or 1" in front of US phone number; updated Other’s Contact card for me, and vice versa to all match; also tried with no "1" just a "(111) 111-1111" format

• Confirmed that Apple ID emails match for Me “My Card” and Other “My Card” (e.g., the Contact card for me “My Card”, and the Other’s Contact card for me, match)

• Remove and replace AirTag battery

• Disabled and re-enabled Find My on each phone

• Disabled and re-enabled Privacy / Location Settings on each phone

• Disabled and re-enabled Bluetooth on each phone

• Assigned the AirTag to Other, then from Other shared with Me, Other could see the AirTag just fine, but when sharing with Me, I have the same issue – I can’t see an AirTag shared with me by Other

• Multiple restarts

• Tried different AirTags

Again, there is no issue with Me successfully sharing the AirTag with the Other user, but the Other user always shows “No location found”. Even worse, if the AirTag is near the Other user (e.g., if Other drives my car when I have an AirTag inside), Other user gets the menacing “Unknown AirTag” might be following you, even though the AirTag has been successfully shared!

Are there other troubleshooting steps I should try? It seems like a lot of users have this issue, please reply to this thread so Apple can find a solution? I bought these AirTags primarily to be shared (e.g., a shared bag or shared car), so the false positive alerts on "Unknown AirTag" defeat the purpose of me buying them in the first place.

Oct 3, 2023 5:33 AM in response to stevenfromleiden

After following steps it works for me:

1. update both my device and sharing device to 17.0.2
  2. remove battery from airtag and then re add it back to find items in find my app
  3. Share to target device following the instructions in find my (items)
  4. if still showing error, go to general search reset, select reset network settings
  5. after that you will see it becomes pending instead of not shared, wait for the other device to accept it

Sep 19, 2023 8:33 AM in response to stevenfromleiden

I’m on an iPhone 13 Pro Max. She is on an iPhone XS. Her iPad is the Pro 3rd gen. I tried deleting it from my account and adding it back and still getting the same error. Both devices are in iOS17. Owner of the other device had to take a call and couldn’t wait, so I continued with their iPad. Had to update the iPad.

FIX:

Made them the owner of the tag through the iPad. They finished their call when the iPad was finishing the update… Shared the tag with myself through the XS, and this time it didn’t go straight to “Not Shared” but rather it showed “Pending” and on my phone I had the Find My request to allow it. And now it works.

Additional Discussion:

I suspect that the issue is caused when someone doesn’t have all their devices updated to iOS 17. She has an iPad and iPhone. I have just an iPhone as far as mobile.

When I shared it with her, something in the backend sees that her Apple ID is used on multiple mobile OS versions and sees at least one incompatible versions, and it went straight to “Not shared”. When you share it with someone that hasn’t updated, it just says they are not eligible.

When “she” shares it with me, it sees just the one mobile OS version. I also suspect it ignores checking watchOS version 10 and just looks for iOS 17.

Dec 21, 2023 12:33 AM in response to jj358mhz

Same thing happened to my family. We’ve shared luggage air tags numerous times. The sharing disappears within a couple of days with no message or error to be found. I wish Apple believed in event logging or any logging so I could see what the sharing failed and reverted. Seems completely unstable and useless to depend on AirTags. Time to go to Tile!

AirTag sharing not working iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.