Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

A "dash" on email address after iOS 17 update

I updated to IOS 17.

I noticed today that on Imessage, i typed a new message (not replied to an existing), wrote a long email address, a "dash" automatically appeared "-" ex: ****@gmail.com it appeared as "****@gmail-.com" because on portrait mode, it did not fit the screen. Although, the dash disappears if you rotate the screen to landscape mode.

But, the problem is

when I sent it to an iphone user with an IOS17 update, it appeared as ****@gmail-.com

then I tried sending it to an iphone user IOS 16, it appeared correctly ****@gmail.com

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 12:26 PM

How can you not understand

if you type an email address in iMessage ( when you are messaging someone an email address) it places a dash in the address and the person receiving the message gets an incorrect email address to use

this is unacceptable and needs to be fixed asap if you still have an issue understanding this then move it up to another engineer this is a dumb issue

bob orman

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 12:26 PM in response to tamarooni

How can you not understand

if you type an email address in iMessage ( when you are messaging someone an email address) it places a dash in the address and the person receiving the message gets an incorrect email address to use

this is unacceptable and needs to be fixed asap if you still have an issue understanding this then move it up to another engineer this is a dumb issue

bob orman

Jan 31, 2024 4:44 PM in response to Jennie_723

While this is definitely a bug since since update IOS 17.2.1, and Apple really need to fix it immediately, there is a temporary workaround to stop the hyphen issue when typing in long email addresses that don't fit on one line in messages.

Simply type the first part of the email address, then hit enter and place the rest on the second new line.

for example....

user@

myemailapple.com

I know this is not an ideal solution, and Apple users should not have to do this, but at least your message recipient will get your correct email address without the hyphen!

This bug has been reported and posted in a few support threads on the Apple community now over many months, and I cannot believe some of the responses of experienced Apple Support techs... They don't seem to get it or understand the problem!

I am also surprised that out of the 1000's of Apple executives and employees worldwide, no one has reported this SERIOUS problem... Don't any of them send email addresses in texts or messages!!! It is so plain to see the problem, I am astounded!

Jan 3, 2024 4:39 PM in response to Jennie_723

I have found a solution. In settings, type auto-hyphenation. You will see the Books icon and the word Auto-hyphenation. Click on it and turn OFF the auto-hyphenation feature. It fixed my dash issue in text messages.

Issue with Automatic Hyphenation in Text Messages Affecting Email Addresses and URLs

Dear Apple Support Team,

I am writing to report a specific issue within the Messages app on Apple phones running iOS 17. The problem concerns the automatic hyphenation feature within text messages, which incorrectly breaks long email addresses and URLs.

Issue Description:

When typing or receiving a long email address or URL in a text message, the Messages app automatically inserts a hyphen to split the text at the end of a line. This action is causing functional issues, as it alters the integrity of email addresses or URLs. For example, an email address like "name@domain.org" gets split into "name@domain-.org", pushing ".org" to the next line and rendering the email address incorrect and unusable.

Impact:

This issue leads to confusion and communication errors, as recipients cannot directly use the message's broken links or email addresses. It requires manual correction or clarification, which is inconvenient and time-consuming.

Expected Behavior:

The ideal behavior would be for the Messages app to recognize email addresses and URLs as entities that should not be split or hyphenated, regardless of length. Instead, these should wrap as a whole to the next line.

Steps to Reproduce the Problem:

1. Open the Messages app.
  2. Type or paste a long email address or URL that extends beyond the width of the message input area.
  3. Observe as the app automatically inserts a hyphen and splits the text.

Here is the solution I found myself. In settings, type auto-hyphenation. You will see the Books icon and the word Auto-hyphenation. Click on it and turn OFF the auto-hyphenation feature. It fixed my dash issue in text messages.

It would best serve us to fix the bug as the books and text messages are different features. Thank you.

A "dash" on email address after iOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.