Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

No iMessage notification sound after IOS 17.0.1 update on iPhone 13 Max

After updating to IOS 17.0.1, I have noticed that I no longer get sound notifications for text/imessage unless I have the phone unlocked and Messages app opened. While it is opened, messages will audibly alert me. This is while using standard apple sounds. Nothing custom. The only way to get it the sound notifications to work when not in messages is to enable alerts for lock screen, notification center or Banners. None of which I have ever had to enable to get sound to work, nor want alerts when my screen is locked.

Has anyone experienced this and if so is there a way to fix the sounds without enabling any of the visible banner alerts?

Sounds like a bug in the new 17.0.1 as I have duplicated it on both the 12 and the 13.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 5:31 PM

The same issue has been happening with me as well since updating. When is apple planning to implement a fix, this is a very huge issue. It is easy to miss important messages due to this issue and no updates that have come out have addressed this!

307 replies

Oct 5, 2023 12:17 PM in response to virginiageek

My issue seems to be caused by also using an Apple Watch. If I turn off my watch, notifications and sounds happen on my iPhone perfectly. If I'm wearing my watch, only the watch receives the instant notifications. I found an Apple support site that confirms that is by design, but I don't remember it working that way before iOS 17.

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support (MY)

Oct 2, 2023 11:56 AM in response to Drewscobra

Talked to a Senior Adviser, he had me go into sounds/haptics and run the volume bar up and down three times, turn off notifications in messages, shutdown, restart, turn on notifications in messages. Hard to figure but this fixed the problem of no sounds for text messages. Phone call sound was working but not texts. Fixed for me, hope this may help others.

Nov 26, 2023 10:10 AM in response to runnerhigh

I am up to date on Software iOS 17.1.1. and that's when this problem began for me on iphone 13~ I am not going to read through all these posts as it is a waste of time since no one has any idea why there is no notification sounds nor how to correct; however, I will ask APPLE, to please fix this problem ASAP! After the expense of these phones, all consumers expect excellent service.

If there is something all consumers need to know then please advise. Thank you.

Dec 28, 2023 9:29 PM in response to virginiageek

🎉 I figured it out for me. I tried all kinds of restarts and resets and toggling everything. It wasn't until I turned off Bluetooth that it worked. Will walk through it:

• I noticed that when the screen was locked, I would not get any haptics or sounds for text messages. Even though it was not in Silent Mode.
  • It was working just a couple days prior, and I did not have an update or change in settings.

What I did to test:

• I turned off Bluetooth on my phone, locked my phone, and sent a text to it.
  • the haptics vibrated, and the sound was made. (✅ As intended.)
  • I turned on Bluetooth on my phone, locked my phone, and sent a text to it.
  • the haptics did NOT vibrate, and NO sound was made. (🚩 NOT intended.)
  • I disconnected all Bluetooth devices on my phone (Settings > Bluetooth > My Devices > Forget Device)
  • I turned on Bluetooth on my phone, locked my phone, and sent a text to it.
  • the haptics did NOT vibrate, and NO sound was made. (🚩 NOT intended.)

The fix:

• I opened my MacBook and turned off Bluetooth, I turned on Bluetooth on my phone, locked my phone, and sent a text to it.
  • the haptics vibrated, and the sound was made. (✅ As intended.)

It was my MacBook's Bluetooth getting in the way! (Check your iPad too! Turn off its Bluetooth to see if that is getting in the way. Apple Watches too...)

Even though I did not see my MacBook listed on my phone's Bluetooth settings, it was somehow getting in the way of my phone making sound and vibrating for texts.

Aside from leaving my MacBook's Bluetooth off, I do not know how to fix this so it works when they are linked. 🤷🏼

Sep 30, 2023 1:15 PM in response to virginiageek

I was on a phone call with Apple Support for a long time, the rep said it’s a software issue. I informed her that this was occurring for me before ios17, which she informed me was rare. I was told if I got a new iPhone this problem would most likely continue because it’s software related. This is a frustrating situation for the people it affects.

Sep 30, 2023 3:11 AM in response to virginiageek

Same thing here on 12 pro max. Everything is on including obvious things like the toggle switch. No ring or vibration for texts. Sound and vibration work for calls just not texts. That said, my google voice app still alerts me normally so it’s definitely an issue with the new software. Cmon apple! Surely you checked this out during testing ???????

Oct 2, 2023 3:29 PM in response to AtariAger

Just got my text sound/alert to work on iPhone XR. May have to do with existing text chats in your messages..? I went to my kids text messages…turned on, “Hide alerts” then turned it off. Instant sounds.

Now…all my purchased tones no longer can be applied to my text alerts. I see them in my ringtones still…but can only be chosen as ringtones. This still needs to be corrected.

Hope that helps…someone.

I did think my, “Contra” reference was pretty funny.

Oct 4, 2023 3:18 AM in response to virginiageek

I’m done with Apple and iPhones I have been with them from day one but to not get sound notifications at all is ridiculous but I’m not even getting a little red number by the app to show I have or how many notifications I’ve missed. They f’d up with this one and to not come out with a “we’re working on it or we’re sorry. This is 2023 and they can’t fix this!!

Nov 27, 2023 12:42 AM in response to virginiageek

My iphone12 pro max ios 17.1.1 Seems to be okay after turning on Sound Haptics and turning All notification banners on on selected apps …but the nagging bug I have is on my IPad Pro 11” 2022 iOS 17.1.1 …the Sound Notifications on the third party default “rebound” alert and the text tone and mail Sound are Sooo dang quiet on max volume …hard to hear …I have called Apple several times and I hope they are correcting All notification Sound problems on upcoming iOS 17.2 update…

No iMessage notification sound after IOS 17.0.1 update on iPhone 13 Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.