Emergency bypass not working

Have been thru all the past discussions, tried toggles, settings, unhide alerts to contact specific people, focus, restarting delete and create new contact and anything else I can find. It only works for a phone call. I need it to work for text messages like it did before. It’s very important for my family this works again. Need help. Thanks

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 2:53 PM

I had the same issue, only 1 contact I was not getting the 'ping' noise for the ring on text for my fiance. When he called it worked and everyone else I had on emergency by pass was fine.

The solution I found was that I went to his text messages, clicked on his face at the top middle with his image, then I noticed the 'Hide Alerts' was turned on. Who knows why this was on because I didnt do it. Anyways, I turned it off, then closed my phone to have it in lock screen. I had him text me to test it and it worked! Make sure to send the text message while in lock screen, if you have the phone open it won't ping.

Hope this helps!

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2023 2:53 PM in response to JayArnold

I had the same issue, only 1 contact I was not getting the 'ping' noise for the ring on text for my fiance. When he called it worked and everyone else I had on emergency by pass was fine.

The solution I found was that I went to his text messages, clicked on his face at the top middle with his image, then I noticed the 'Hide Alerts' was turned on. Who knows why this was on because I didnt do it. Anyways, I turned it off, then closed my phone to have it in lock screen. I had him text me to test it and it worked! Make sure to send the text message while in lock screen, if you have the phone open it won't ping.

Hope this helps!

Nov 29, 2023 10:25 PM in response to JayArnold

Hi All! Having the Same issue too and haven't found a fix. Even tried the volume thing suggested but that doesn't work. The weird thing it does seem to only happen with my wife's text, but not my kids!! I woulldn't mind so much but my wife then gives me **** and says "i'm ignoring her texts" so then it becomes a big deal! Apple can you please help fix this bug before all the husbands get divorced by their spouse and move over to Android! Thanks!

Jan 26, 2024 4:44 PM in response to JayArnold

I was going crazy but just figured out my issue with this. I believe, prior to the update there was just one emergency bypass button. Now it is listed in the text tone section and the ringtone section. Make sure it’s enabled in both places. 🤦‍♀️ I enabled it under text tones as well and it’s now working.

Nov 14, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Mad_dog24

Im having the same issues apple peeps although some of my contacts with emergency bypass work, and some don't. It's my wife so maybe not a bad thing sometimes but she's my emergency contact and it's not notifying me on my apple watch when she texts me. She can call and it works, just the text. Seems to be a reasonably widespread issue as I've seen multiple posts on this topic in the last few weeks as of 11-14-23.

Please help us non ai generated beings.

Nov 22, 2023 9:01 AM in response to JayArnold

End of November and iOS 17 for iPhones still gave this bug for me.

I contacted Apple support and it was frustrating that who I talked to didn’t understand the problem, it was like talking to Android user.

He asked me that besides having the bypass setting on the person, to add that person in the focus setting!!!

Since when do we have to program one function in two settings?

I wish I could go back to iOS 16. It was more reliable in the operation.

Sep 27, 2023 1:12 PM in response to JayArnold

Hi JayArnold,

Here are the instructions for enabling that feature, and it should work for text messages:

"Allow calls from emergency contacts when notifications are silenced

You can allow sounds and vibrations from emergency contacts to come through even when your iPhone or notifications are silenced.

1. Open Contacts .
  2. Select a contact, then tap Edit.
  3. Tap Ringtone or Text Tone, then turn on Emergency Bypass.
  4. Or, set up your Medical ID and identify an emergency contact."

Allow or silence notifications for a Focus on iPhone - Apple Support

If it's still not working, you can contact Apple Support to investigate this further for you:

Get Support

Cheers!

Nov 30, 2023 10:43 PM in response to JayArnold

The same thing happens to my husband with his 15 pro Max hahaha and the story is the same, I am the wife who caused the problem because I thought he was ignoring my texts 🤣 but thank you, now I understand that he does not have that problem but Apple. hahaha I already apologized. Apple helps these desperate husbands😂. Btw, today we updated the latest version of IOS 17.1.2 and nothing.

Oct 31, 2023 2:11 PM in response to pwoodson

So I may have found the problem. When you push the volume down, but nothing is playing such as a video or something with audio, it pulls the ringer volume down, even if you are on silent. If you do an up volume to raise the volume, it will say ringer in the information window at the top of the screen as long as nothing with audio is playing. This will make your Bypass notifications have volume and you can adjust how loud it actually is. So my mistake was thinking I was turning down video volume, when I was actually turning down bypass ringer volume. I hope that makes sense? I don’t know how the lock sound option in the sound menu will change the above, but I could see where it might.

Dec 8, 2023 2:49 PM in response to Mad_dog24

But that does not answer the doubt because for some people the text message notification sounds, but not for other contacts, especially family, it is common in all complaints (wives, parents). And the problem is mainly with text message notifications, not with calls. So even if you do what you mention, it doesn't solve the problem. But thank you.

Dec 23, 2023 12:00 PM in response to JayArnold

SOLVED & FIXED! this may be a temporary fix to the bug, and you might need to do it more than once.

Here’s how: settings>notifications>notification style

First choose Phone. Toggle allow notifications On/Off/On

Return to Notifycation Style screen

choose Messages

Toggle On/Off/On all options 👉🏼especially Critical Alerts.

Make sure it’s green.

Have your ER contact send a text to test the feature and be sure you don’t have their messages open while doing so, and volume up.

Emergency bypass not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.