Apple Pay on Apple Watch NOT Working After Updating to WatchOS 10

Hi guys. As the title says, after I updated to WatchOS10, my card payment on my Apple Watch Series 8 is not working when I put the watch near a card reader.

Is there a setting I need to change? or is this a bug? Or is my watch faulty? There hasn't been any physical or water damage to the watch since I never drop it or bring it for a swim.

Might anyone know what's going on??

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 10

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 6:27 AM

Any updates on this one ? It is literally not possible to use wallet with side button on apple watch

80 replies

Sep 27, 2023 2:08 PM in response to darrenek

I have updated my Series 6 watch to os10 and my iPhone 11 to iOS 17. Since then I have been having problems with Apple pay on the watch. Now when I double tap the side button the watch display just goes blank. If I hard restart the watch then apple pay starts appearing normal once or twice but then just goes blank again. After each hard restart, when I double tap the side button the first time then I see a note the "the cards are updating" and just hangs there. then the 2nd time I double tap apple pay comes up once or twice then the whole problem starts all over...

Oct 25, 2023 6:11 AM in response to darrenek

It works now!! I could not activate my new updated apple watch 8 with my updated iphone 11. I unpaired and re-paired as suggested by this thread and Apple Pay is now all set up on my apple watch 8 just like it was before on my Apple watch 5. Thank you for the advice.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apple Support

How to unpair and erase your Apple Watch if you have your iPhone

1. Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together as you unpair them.
  2. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  3. Go to the My Watch tab and tap All Watches.
  4. Tap the info button next to the watch that you want to unpair.
  5. Tap Unpair Apple Watch.

Oct 15, 2023 12:27 PM in response to sergeig88

Tested again today. Turned cellular off while I was already at the store 1-2 min prior to paying and it had no positive effect this time. Double tap, card comes up, rotate the wrist to the reader and no beep. Card not visible. I think app crashes at this point. Two more attempts double tapping with watch next to the reader and it finally works. Super frustrating. Left feedback in Apple feedback app. I hope moderators keep an eye on these threads. In addition to trashing UI experience in watch OS 10 this bug impacts one of the most frequently used feature of this watch on my list.

Oct 16, 2023 1:16 PM in response to darrenek

I have been using my watch for payments and all was well. Things went south the moment I moved to the combination of iOS 17 and watch OS 10. Ever since double clicking the side button brings up the cards; but holding them to the reader doesn’t do anything. I have read every response here and will try now after having unpaired and re-paired my watch as well as turning off assistive touch.

Sep 30, 2023 3:36 PM in response to Garden-Ed

Problem with Apple Pay on my Apple Watch Ultra started after updating to WatchOS 10. Uninstalling the bank app on the iPhone, removing the cards from Wallet on iPhone and Apple Watch, re-installing the bank app and configure Apple Pay from scratch on did not work. A restart of the Apple Watch also didn’t solve the issue. Just like Garden-Ed said: unpairing the watch and re-pair the watch via the phone app finally fixed the problem.

Sep 26, 2023 2:51 AM in response to darrenek

Are you near an Apple Retail Store? They can check if your NFC is working properly.

Have you done a forced restart of your Apple Watch since upgrading?

>>Force Apple Watch to restart

To force restart, hold down the side button and the Digital Crown at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.<<

Restart Apple Watch - Apple Support

Oct 3, 2023 7:32 PM in response to darrenek

My Ultra after watch OS10 update started having issues with Apple Pay too. Card is visible on side button double press but the wrist rotation makes it go away. Used Apple Pay about 5 times since the update. Each time took multiple attempts to get the reader to accept the card. Wrist had to be rotated to place near the reader super slowly. This never happened before. Please roll back the change that is triggering this behavior.

Apple Pay on Apple Watch NOT Working After Updating to WatchOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.