Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Car/Carplay mic issue

2019 Honda Civic, iPhone 13 Pro (iOS 17) and aftermarket CarPlay unit.

Prior to the new CarPlay unit, I was having the same issue. When I try to use any voice function connected to the car via Bluetooth, it will not work (speech to text, Siri, etc) but the microphone works fine for making calls and voice commands from my car still work fine.

I am just unable to use the hands free voice commands for Siri and texting on CarPlay since it’s all voice prompts through Siri. I get the pop up for Siri and prompts but when I speak it doesn’t register.

I tested the microphone by calling and it works fine for calls or my cars native voice command prompt system.

I have disconnected, reconnected and restarted everything multiple times. I hoped this CarPlay unit (being its own unit) would not have this same issue. There may a setting disabled I’m not aware of but I’ve tried checking everything.

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 7:27 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 28, 2023 3:45 PM in response to B_mur91

Hey there B_mur91,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

For the best steps that can help with troubleshooting unexpected issues with CarPlay, check out this link here: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

Based on the troubleshooting you've mentioned, and since you stated that this was an aftermarket CarPlay unit, we would definitely recommend checking for any firmware updates as mentioned in step 7.

If none of the steps listed in the resource above is able to help with the issue, the next best option would be to reach out to Apple Support directly at this next link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Take care!

Sep 28, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Chris_V89

I did check Firmware and it’s up to date.

I also found another piece of the puzzle….”Hey Siri” works. So if I tell Siri to play music, make a call or send a text message there’s no issues. It seems to only be related to using CarPlay itself as the start of the request (pressing a button to say a voice command on the CarPlay unit for instance).

I went through settings to verify everything else was turned on that needed to be and accidentally found that “hey siri” functionality worked in doing so.

May 9, 2024 10:59 AM in response to B_mur91

I'm suddenly having this same issue after installing a new head unit. "Hey Siri" works, I can make phone calls, but I cannot verbally dictate or respond to text messages, and Siri will not listen if I press the steering wheel button. Basically it seems like Siri cannot listen through the microphone except for phone calls. Did you ever find a solution?

Car/Carplay mic issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.