Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I see ‘connection is unstable’ when on a FaceTime call on my iPhone 11 with my boyfriend, and he does too

I FaceTimed my boyfriend I seen him on the FaceTime call for a second then it went to a black screen and I got told his connection was unstable then mine was then his was then mine then it said “connection is unstable” for the rest of the call. I hung up a few times only to get the same result. I even restarted my phone and still got the same result. He was able to see me the entire time no issues. Anyone know how to fix it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 11:18 AM

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. I've done everything stated above but nothing works.

I see my caller fine. But every few minutes, he sees "unstable connection" and I disappear. I need to press on "video" on and off, and then I reappear. It only does this on my mobile devices (iPhone and iPad). My iMac and MacBook Pro work fine. All my updates are done everywhere.

I've tested my network, the connection is more than fine, for uploads and downloads.

Nothing is working, and it's driving me nuts.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2023 11:18 AM in response to destiny241

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. I've done everything stated above but nothing works.

I see my caller fine. But every few minutes, he sees "unstable connection" and I disappear. I need to press on "video" on and off, and then I reappear. It only does this on my mobile devices (iPhone and iPad). My iMac and MacBook Pro work fine. All my updates are done everywhere.

I've tested my network, the connection is more than fine, for uploads and downloads.

Nothing is working, and it's driving me nuts.

Jan 8, 2024 9:01 PM in response to destiny241

As those in the thread above have had constant issues with FaceTime, so have I. I've checked my network connection and all is well; I've restarting all my devices-- iPad, home system, iPhone-- STILL the same super-frustrating "network connection is unstable" during FaceTime calls! I did NOT have this issue pre iOS 17 (and all consecutive updates afterward).

I've been on a call with an apple tech who had me reset the network connection (eg, have wifi "forget" the network and re-establish as anew), and STILL this does not resolve the issue with FaceTime.

Oct 3, 2023 11:24 AM in response to Alyssa1225

Hello Alyssa1225,

This has everything to do with the connection being unstable for the FaceTime call. You can use these steps for a solution: If you can't make or receive a FaceTime call on your iPhone or iPad

Use a fast connection to avoid sound quality issues with FaceTime

If your cellular connection or Wi-Fi network runs slowly, or other users stream audio or video on the same Wi-Fi network, you might have these issues:

* Connection alerts or unable to connect
* Choppy video calls
* Black screen
* Dropped calls

Make sure that both you and the person that you call use a fast Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If you use Wi-Fi, FaceTime requires a broadband connection.

If you still need help

If none of the above reasons apply to you, and you still can't make or receive FaceTime calls, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has a Wi-Fi connection to the internet or a cellular-data connection.
* Learn more if you're using router, firewall, or security software that restricts internet access.

2. If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure that Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings and tap Cellular or tap Mobile Data, then turn on FaceTime. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data.

3. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that FaceTime is on.

* If you see "Waiting for Activation," turn FaceTime off and then on again. Learn what to do if you can't activate FaceTime.

* If you don't see the FaceTime setting, make sure that Camera and FaceTime aren't off in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.

* Make sure that you have the correct phone number or email address listed.

8. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn on Set Automatically.

9. Restart your device.

10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.

Let us know if this helps out.

Take care.

I see ‘connection is unstable’ when on a FaceTime call on my iPhone 11 with my boyfriend, and he does too

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.