Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Issue with replying to text on CarPlay with iOS 17

After listening to a text on carplay, Siri asks if I want to reply. I will then speak out a text. Siri then asks send it or change it? I'll either say send it or I'll push the button to send it... but there is no text sent. I've noticed that about 50% of the time, the reply just doesn't exist. Not only did the other person not receive it, but it isn't even on my phone as a text.

This problem only started happening to me with ios 17. What gives?

ios 17, iPhone 12 Pro Max, carplay

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 12:23 PM

I’m having the same issues. Siri will read the text in CarPlay, when I respond it won’t send. She keeps sputtering and then says something like I can’t give you that info while the car is moving.

help! I use this function a lot while driving

115 replies

Dec 7, 2023 5:54 PM in response to Heycable

Siri isn’t reading my texts back to me after I say them and then if I hit send, it’s adding “what do you want” to the beginning of all my texts even though I haven’t said it. It’ll also randomly turn on ad say “i didn’t get that”, “have a nice day” etc. I’ve done everything Apple said to do to fix it, shut off phone and turn back on, make sure Siri is on, disconnect from my car and set up as a new phone etc and NOTHING fixes it. I was hoping the 17.1.2 would fix it, but nothings changed. It worked great before the 17 update

Dec 15, 2023 5:54 PM in response to Heycable

What happens with mine is I will say "hey siri, send text to anthony" she will reply and ask what I would like to send. When I say what I would like to text she reads back in total silence twice and then just sends it (even though auto send is off). Or, if I ask her to send a text she will literally cut herself off, "what would you like to"....."what would you like to " and then something about not being able to find a place. OR if I ask her to send a text to someone she will say she cannot hear me and then send "What" to that person. Wtf?

Jan 12, 2024 1:03 PM in response to queenbee13

Yes, SO socially awkward to deal with! Apple Support acknowledges it's a glitch but then says, "Do you want to troubleshoot this? We can talk on another phone while you try." What is this, 2001? I don't have a landline for us to use, guys. That, AND, if it's a glitch, only the engineers can fix it! Engineers, let's go! This is CLEARLY A PROBLEM MANY PEOPLE HAVE.

Nov 20, 2023 7:51 PM in response to Pete114bedford

I’m having a similar issue. When attempting to send or respond to a text using CarPlay, Siri either places the persons name at the beginning of the text, even though I didn’t say their name. Or, Siri reads the text that I’m trying to send and asks me if I want to change or send but before I can respond, Siri sends it in under 1 second. I updated this morning and it started happening after the update to 17.1.1

Feb 15, 2024 8:18 PM in response to fariba39

I was convinced this was a lexis issue, too, but after going rounds with both Lexus and Apple, it seems that perhaps it is an apple issue. Lexus explained that CarPlay is an Apple interface, and no matter what updates they do on their end will not have any impact. Apple must fix the glitch via an update through the Apple iOS. I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t seem to be affected, but Apple is failing us.

Dec 8, 2023 6:49 AM in response to Bcarman

With 17.2 Siri is now placing the person’s name in front of the text as well as when Siri asks me if I “want to change it or send it” if I say send it, Siri says “I can’t show the results to you while you’re in the car” and disconnects. Come on Apple, get this taken care of!! Ridiculous. I’ve tried all the suggestions on this page regarding turning off cellular data, etc. nothing is working.

Issue with replying to text on CarPlay with iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.