Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

The photos on my iPhone 15 are coming out blurry and dark, any advice?

I just recently got my new iPhone 15 Pro and was extremely disappointed with the quality of the camera. The photos are coming out blurry and dark, with a gray tone. I am not sure if this is something that will be fixed after a while but I did some research and I am not the only one with this issue.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 12:55 PM

i have same problem… am so disappointed (am photographer and filmmaker) and yes… ia true, the frontal camera looks very bad (in the preview is nice, but when you look after is so grey color , black … i really hope apple repair this

94 replies

Oct 27, 2023 4:44 PM in response to ClaraGomes

I agree. Unboxed the new phone, originally had an 11. The 11 produced GREAT photos. Set the new iPhone 15 up and the next day left on an international trip. Photos are blurry, out of focus, not the quality I had become used to. So yes, there is CLEARLY an issue with either the phone, hardware, or the camera itself, but this is not the quality I'm used to with iPhone, and I SWEAR, if Apple tries to use this as a reason to improve the 16 so we get duped into having to invest in a new phone prematurely, Ill call scam.

Dec 10, 2023 11:40 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Good for you then. It honestly does not take an expert to notice the drastic changes in the quality of the photos. I use my phone to take pictures of my daily routine as well as the people around me and the photos are turning out bad. Both the front and back cameras are taking dark pictures especially when compared to the Iphones 14 and 13. This is something that has bothered me which is why I sent a complaint so that those who are also having an issue can relate. If it works for you, then it works for you.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 27, 2023 3:59 PM in response to ClaraGomes

My 15 Pro Max is taking some of the best photos of any iPhone I've ever owned and I just move up from 14 Pro Max. Often, people (not accusing you, specifically), don't understand the difference between the cameras and how to get the best results from them. What camera did you use? In what lighting conditions? Did you use your finger to put the focus on the subject you were taking? Yes, these are point and shoot. But you, the photographer have to use the right camera for the scene you're photographing and take into consideration, the available light.

There's an old saying. "It's not the camera that matters, it's the person behind the camera taking photographs."

Perhaps reading this support article will help you better understand the photographic settings and options available to you --> About the Camera features on your iPhone - Apple Support

Dec 10, 2023 12:13 PM in response to ClaraGomes

So i went this morning get a refound of my 15 pro max, I hate the frontal camera pictures, and i checked on the desk samples and they had all the same. One of the seller tried to explain me that it’s like taking a picture with a reflex analog camera. And today in the era of Instagram and the selfies you can not have this kind of results, that gives you horrible skin problems. Sorry Apple but you need to rethink that, I will wait one better and keep my 11 pro or look for a samsung.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 27, 2023 6:25 PM in response to ClaraGomes

Since we can't see how you're using your phone or any pictures you're taken, this discussion is academic and I can see you got upset. I'll back out of this conversation and recommend you schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar to have your camera tested. Just saying you think the phone takes bad photos doesn't give any useful information to try to help you. Let Apple test the phone.

Good luck.

Nov 13, 2023 6:52 PM in response to Inspectordsa

Maybe you need a simpler phone, which doesn't have different cameras for different scenes and settings? As iPhone as matured, the cameras have become more complex and do require the user to choose the right camera and settings to get the best photo. What you seem to suggest you'd rather have is a phone, which has less complex cameras. Which is fine. But that doesn't make the cameras on modern iPhones bad.

Oct 22, 2023 2:28 PM in response to ClaraGomes

Aside from your research (which to be fair…some of the complaints you may see online aren’t always legitimate…anyone can post negative things and not actually experience the issue or even have the product…just like anyone with a legit issue can post so sometimes using that as part of your research isn’t the best way to go and should never be your primary source when researching anything)… what have you actually done to troubleshoot? What settings have you adjusted? Followed any of the steps in the online manual to see if it helps? Actually contacted Apple Support or visited your local Apple Store (if one is in your area)? Unfortunately I can’t replicate what you describe on my 15 Pro Max or the 15 Pro in my household so it’s not something that is universal and therefore it’s safe to assume it’s not all iPhone 15 Pro’s. Could you have a defective phone? Yes. Could it just be that you need to take a little time and troubleshoot if you haven’t actually done beyond your research? Also yes. But it would be a little more helpful if you gave more details here besides just saying it’s horrible without detailing what actions you have taken to figure it out. Would make attempting to provide some assistance a lot easier.

Nov 14, 2023 4:23 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Im not an Idiot lol, I bought this IPhone cause you had an option to choose the log file and color it yourself after. The thing is the frontal camera to take selfies the end picture looks less good for me than my IPhone 11 pro. The light is darker, skin looks bad and the quality doesn’t seem better but less good, even if the quality look better I could understand but it’s Not! And my father as the iPhone 15 pro max i did the sane picture with same lightning I ask several persons wich one were there favorite, and they all responded the 11 pro without knowing wich one was it from the 15 pro. So ..

May 6, 2024 9:36 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Maybe they need a simpler phone? Could you being anymore arrogant lobsterghost1?? Have you noticed that it’s not ONE person who mention how DIFFERENT their photos are from past IPhones? Ok so YOU are getting good photos - great - you got one of three IPhone 15’s that work, while the rest of us got problem cameras. Let’s take me for example. I’ve been taking photographs since saving my $$$ a teen in the 70’s and proudly buying my first camera - a $200 Polaroid! I’ve since taken many camera classes, learning how to use my numerous 35 MM cameras, and various lenses. My preferred point and shoot cameras, carried in my back pocket for fantastic spur of the moment shots, was The Sony RX II, then IV which cost more than my friends IPhones, which still never quite rivals great 35mm shot, albeit you can get great pics with todays IPhones. Ok with ALL that said, my IPhone 13 Pro? Great shots. My IPhone 15 pro - stinks!!!! And please dont explain how to tap your finger on the phone or how to use proper settings. This phone has a big problem!!! Example. I actually sometimes use an IPHONE 12 (on occasion) at my work ( it’s all they offer). If I put a dark vintage hat ( as an example) inside a photo booth with a white background, I get a great black and a great full white background. Just to prove a point, I used my IPhone 15 with the very same dark hat and photo booth and the hat is extremely dark AND the WHITE background has a grey hue surrounding the hat. I’ve done this with works iPhone 12, my old IPhone 13 Pro and my Iphone 15 - and I can ASSURE you lobsterghost1, the folks on this thread KNOW what they’re talking about. Also, it’s an IPHONE for heavens sake. You dont have to be a professional photographer to get good shots.

BTW; I took the dark photos from the IPhone 15 taken in the Photo Booth and attempted to edit them and discovered that the hat wasn’t just dark as I thought but when lightened, it WAS lightly blurred AND even if it wasn’t, normal editing programs cannot lighten( the hat) and remove the grey hue surrounding it. Again, in this case, I can attest, it’s the camera, not the people taking the pictures.

Nov 20, 2023 6:30 AM in response to Sharon2122

Completely agree with you Sharon,

I know what you feel I had the 11pro and when I got the 15 pro max I was in Shock, that’s why I ask for a refund and keep my 11. The people trying so hard here to proove the opposite, trying to make you feel stupid like you didn’t do the right settings or the 15 is too performant for you and complicated, I really don’t get there points. Actually one of my comments saying they probably work for Apple has been deleted, so that’s very weird.

The photos on my iPhone 15 are coming out blurry and dark, any advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.