USB-C to Lightning Adapter doesn't work with certain accesories.

I recently bought a USB-C to Lightning Adapter with my new iPhone 15 Pro to use my Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. Still, when plugging the reader with the adapter into the phone, it gives the following message: "This accessory is not supported by this device." I'm curious as to if this is a bug that will be fixed in a future iOS installment or if the adapter does not support certain accessories

The device I'm using is an iPhone 15 Pro running on iOS 17.0.2

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2023 6:22 AM

Really disappointed Apple are not supporting the Lightning accessories on the new phones.

8 replies

Oct 14, 2023 12:14 AM in response to elkitsu

I am in a similar situation.

In my old BMW X1 I have the infamous Y cable (mini jack + USB-A -> 30-pin male connector) which plugs into an Apple 30-pin female to Lightning male adapter.

This setup is working fine with all iPhone prior to the iPhone 15/15 Pro.

When I add the Apple Lightning female to USB-C male adapter and then connect my iPhone 15 Pro (iOS 17.0.3), the iPhone brings up the “this accessory is not supported message”.

Charging is working fine though.

Dec 25, 2023 10:47 AM in response to elkitsu

hey guys. today I checked third adapter between type C to lightning for my new iphone 15 pro. and.. it doesnt work as all those I checked before. I am super sad and have a feeling that they dumped lightning support via adapters in release of phones in 2023.. :(

otherwise, did someone try certified apple adapter?

May 16, 2024 7:09 PM in response to elkitsu

I have a newer iPad that has the USB-C connector. Also have the Apple lightning video adapter that I was using on my old iPad Mini so I bought the USB-C to lightning adapter and figured it would work. Got the “this accessory is not supported" message. Tried various methods but no go....

Was rummaging thru my adapters box and discovered I had a "Dell Adapter USB-C to HDMI/DP, USB & Ethernet" so decided to try it on a whim and low and behold, it worked with no issues!!!!

I can now display video on my tv with the Dell Adapter and an HDMI cable plugged into it. Can't charge my iPad at the same time but I can watch videos on the bigger screen at least and the resolution is great.

There's a similar Dell adapter for about $50 (cheaper than buying Apple's $90 USB-C to video adapter).

USB-C to Lightning Adapter doesn't work with certain accesories.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.