Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Camera not genuine notification on my iPhone

I got a notification saying that my camera isn’t a genuine part and my phone is less than a year old never had an issue with it till yesterday camera freeze and l turned my phone off and on again and came back to normal but l still get the message notification that my phone isn’t recognising the camera or not a genuine part idk what to do even upgraded to iOS 17 today and the message still there

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2024 2:44 PM

Hey, I’m having the same issue. Well except now I can’t use my ultra lens so I can’t zoom out to .05 like I use to. I went to the Apple Store and they quoted 199 but THIS IS NOT MY FAULT THIS IS AN APPLE ISSUE I didn’t damage my phone or anything so I am very upset!

44 replies

Apr 1, 2024 9:57 PM in response to Samwaltz

Seems like this is happening to a lot of people. Wouldn’t be surprised if Apple designed this bug intentionally to get their consumers to fork over more money. Anyways I’m having same issue. Turned my phone on and went to my camera app to take a video of my son and it froze so I restarted my phone and that notification popped up. Can only use certain zoom types on the camera. Was working fine the day before of course. If this is happening to so many people then it’s pretty apparent that it isn’t a consumer handling issue, it’s the type of issue that gets Apple to recall all these phones or to issue an update to the cameras software to have it fixed…APPLE ISSUE NOT MINE

Oct 5, 2023 9:45 AM in response to Samwaltz

This message can appear for two reasons:

• Your camera has been replaced by an unauthorized source.
  • Your camera has failed in a way that your iPhone cannot verify that it is genuine.

If your camera was replaced and you are seeing that message, go back to where it was replaced and tell them to do it right.

If your camera was not replaced, you should have your iPhone examined. See iPhone Repair & Service - Apple Support

Mar 22, 2024 7:10 AM in response to M37dodge

M37dodge wrote:

Yes I would understand that if the phone is a year or 2 old. This is brand new out of the box with this issue.

If the phone is a month old, it's beyond the return period and no longer "new". If the phone is only a month old, and there is no user damage, it would be covered under warranty. So, either you didn't understand what Apple meant when they told you there would be a fee. Or, there is more gong on here than you are reporting. I'd suggest you contact them again.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

You should stand behind your quality for a new item and exchange it.

Why should I stand behind it? Neither I nor anyone else participating in this forum has anything to do with it. We're just fellow users.

Camera not genuine notification on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.