Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Calendar notification sounds broken since MacOS Sonoma 14.0

Since I installed MacOS Sonoma 14.0, the notification sounds in the Calendar app do not work anymore on my MBP 14" 2021. The sounds do work on my iPhone, that is synced via iCloud.

Does anybody know what is wrong? I did not change anything in the settings...

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 2:22 AM

Thanks for your reaction. I'm affraid nothing of your suggestions make any difference. I have tried everything, even tried Safety Mode, but it stays broken.

I get NO audible notifications NOR on screen notifications from Calendar activities, NOR from any other app. This has all started after installing macOS Sonoma 14.0.

Mind you: I did NOT change anything when I installed Sonoma.

Visual notifications DO appear in the Notifications Centre, but I have to click first on the date/clock symbol on the upper right side in the menu bar.

So I think something is really broken. The abnormal behaviour of the Notification Centre is definitely NOT any kind of wrong setting, as your reply suggests.

By the way, since a year or two I also do NOT get any audible notification when a new E-mail comes in either. Exception: I DO hear a sound when the screensaver is running. So this Mail issue already existed long before installing Sonoma.

Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 2:22 AM in response to ASTRO24

Thanks for your reaction. I'm affraid nothing of your suggestions make any difference. I have tried everything, even tried Safety Mode, but it stays broken.

I get NO audible notifications NOR on screen notifications from Calendar activities, NOR from any other app. This has all started after installing macOS Sonoma 14.0.

Mind you: I did NOT change anything when I installed Sonoma.

Visual notifications DO appear in the Notifications Centre, but I have to click first on the date/clock symbol on the upper right side in the menu bar.

So I think something is really broken. The abnormal behaviour of the Notification Centre is definitely NOT any kind of wrong setting, as your reply suggests.

By the way, since a year or two I also do NOT get any audible notification when a new E-mail comes in either. Exception: I DO hear a sound when the screensaver is running. So this Mail issue already existed long before installing Sonoma.

Regards.

Oct 14, 2023 9:12 AM in response to NookaDizzy

Hi NookaDizzy,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

To address the behavior with your Calendar notification sounds, restart your computer to refresh running processes. Check whether you have notification sounds going to a different device and the volume of the alert.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Sound  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) 
2. Click the pop-up menu next to “Alert sound” on the right, then choose a sound.
3. The alert plays when you select it so you can hear how it sounds.
4. Do any of the following to adjust the alert sound.
* Change where you hear alerts: Normally you play sound effects through your computer’s internal speakers, but if another sound output device is available, you can choose it from the pop-up menu next to “Play sound effects through.”
* Adjust the volume of alerts: Drag the Alert volume slider. The alert volume is relative to your computer’s output volume, so if you lower the computer’s volume, alert sounds also play more quietly.
* Choose to play a sound when your Mac starts up: To hear the startup chime when you restart your Mac, turn on “Play sound on startup.”
* Choose whether to hear user interface sound effects: Your Mac plays sound effects when you perform certain actions, such as dragging an item to the Trash. To turn off these sound effects, turn off “Play user interface sound effects.”
* Choose whether to hear a sound effect when you change the volume: On some keyboards, when you press one of the volume keys, a sound plays to let you hear the new volume. To prevent this sound, turn off “Play feedback when volume is changed.” To temporarily reverse this setting, hold down the Shift key as you press a volume key. (Not all keyboards have volume keys.)

Change the alert sounds on Mac - Apple Support

Regards.

May 1, 2024 9:51 AM in response to NookaDizzy

I think I have the same issue. I don't use the calendar, but the sound for when you put something in the trash and the sound for when you take a screen shot don't work anymore. I noticed it a few days ago. I haven't changed any settings either. I've checked the Sound section in system preferences and everything looks correct. However, when I click on the play button no sound comes out. Note that the speakers are fine, since I can receive phone calls and play YouTube videos.

Calendar notification sounds broken since MacOS Sonoma 14.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.