Apple TV apps will not open using universal remote all of the sudden

we had an Apple TV for years and suddenly when using our PRO universal remote, in the Home Screen of the apps, you cannot click on the app (Netflix etc) to open it. When you click on it, it just says ‘edit home screen’, ‘move to…’ or ‘delete app’. I restarted the Apple TV. I reset the Apple TV. I tried to pair the remote again (it says it’s already paired). So I bought a new Apple TV thinking it was just old and glitchy. It worked fine for a day and then suddenly today it’s doing it again. Once I’m IN the app (any of the apps) it works fine and I can navigate as needed. But I have to use the Apple TV remote (which defeats the purpose of the universal remote) to click on the app to open it.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 3:55 PM

10 replies

Dec 15, 2023 9:17 AM in response to Mvogelman2009

I figured it out, but you might need someone with the Pro Control software to fix it. I'm not a dealer but I stumbled upon the software. It is not very straight forward on programming as you have to record inputs to your procontrol processor along with the hdmi input's in your reciever (if you have one). The software does not download your existing configuration but you have to start over if you do not have that file saved.

Anyhow if you can see in the picture attached the default property for the enter button (cursor select) is "minimum repeats 2". No idea why that is the default. Changed it to 1, updated my remote and works like it "use to" before my appletv updated software.

Apr 10, 2024 6:44 PM in response to gkmcbride

Hi, how did you stumble upon the software? I am having the same problem and I just want to undo whatever broke the ok button functionality, but it will cost $200 to get a dealer to fix something I can easily fix myself, but procontrol won’t give me the software. I have a hard time resolving to just fork over so much $$$ for a 5 minute fix. If you have a way to get the ProControl software and are willing to share, that would be immensely appreciated.

Apple TV apps will not open using universal remote all of the sudden

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.