Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

AirPods Max static in left ear cup when it’s pressed or moved. See details, as it gets weirder…

The symptom I’m experiencing sounds very much like what this person is describing:

Static noise when pressing left ear cup (… - Apple Community

When putting on or adjusting my AirPods Max on my head, I get static in the left ear cup. It’s usually momentary and seems to correspond with movement. I can make it almost continuous by jiggling the left ear cup but it stops when the movement stops about 95% of the time. Occasionally it will persist but can usually be stopped with additional movement.

Here’s the weird part—it only happens when I have the ear cushions installed. I tried putting my AirPods Max on over a beanie with no ear cushions so that I could still get a decent seal to test, and no ear cushions = no static, even when I move or jiggle the headset in the same way.

I’m mystified at how the ear cushions could matter, and have even tried swapping L and R (upside down so that the sensor window still aligns). It doesn’t matter which ear cushion is on which side, but if they’re installed, the static behavior continues.

Firmware is up-to-date, tried restart and reset with no change, happens with all connected devices, Apple or third-party.

Anyone know of a fix for this or have a similar issue?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 7:31 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 10, 2024 8:30 AM in response to cakefornoreason

I’m sorry to say that I can confirm this was a hardware issue. I worked with Apple repeatedly and the only help they were willing to offer on my 2+ year old set without AppleCare was a $300+ repair, which was expensive enough that I declined. I continued my search, however, and found a third party company who both sold used parts and offers repair service.

I know that I was taking the life of my AirPods Max into my own hands by doing this, but I was ultimately able to repair them myself with an investment of more like $100 in parts and repair equipment, though I have computer repair background and an unusual amount of patience for incredibly tiny screws. In my case, it was the left earcup’s plastic insert (which also contains a microphone—likely the source of the static) that needed to be replaced, but the replacement did resolve the problem. It took some very specific repair tools and almost an hour of effort (seriously, _incredibly_ tiny screws) but I got it done.

So to those having concerns, you may have luck researching third-party repair services and they’ll likely cost less than Apple’s all-in-one option, but you are crossing a line by either performing the repair yourself or letting any company that’s not Apple touch your AP Max. I did my own repair knowing that Apple might refuse future service if I found that the one part I changed didn’t do the trick—I was just willing to take the risk and in my case it paid off.

That said, it’s still somewhat galling to know that Apple would have charged $300 for a repair that actually involved only one part that certainly did not cost $300. I wouldn’t have put in as much effort as I did if the AirPods Max didn’t sound amazing, but this experience does have me carefully considering if I’d buy another set.

May 4, 2024 3:47 PM in response to Kcinward

I had the same problems after changing the Apple ear Cushions. I thought it may have been the Iphone so I tried another iPhone and the same static when I walked, it stopped when I stopped walking. Change cushions and the same problem. I finally removed the ear cushion and that fixed the problem completely. I'm going to get with Apple to see what they say.

AirPods Max static in left ear cup when it’s pressed or moved. See details, as it gets weirder…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.