Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Red audio symbol in iMessage text box

In only one of my text groups, I have this audio message symbol and I inadvertently sent a one-minute audio to a whole group of people (😬). Thank all that is holy I didn’t say anything bad or talk about anybody. I can’t figure out how to get rid of it!

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2024 7:42 AM

How do you get rid of red audio symbol in message text box. It is only one of my contacts that is affected

46 replies

Dec 30, 2023 6:43 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for this advice. I am experiencing the same issue, however, I do not have the microphone icon, only the voice recording icon.

I’ve attempted to press it and hold it down hoping that it would disappear and the microphone icon will return, but it doesn’t happen.

Like the previous poster, it is only appearing in two different text message conversations (which I’d prefer not to delete).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Feb 14, 2024 6:51 PM in response to FTLOSM

Hey all!

If you don’t see the microphone icon on the bottom right, go to Settings > General > Keyboard and turn on “Enable Dictation”. In fact just turning on Dictation alone may get rid of the red audio symbol.

I believe it’s just a new feature/function, you can see it referenced in this article:

Send and receive audio messages on iPhone - Apple Support

Hope that helps!

Red audio symbol in iMessage text box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.