random pitch bend in Logic Pro X - Please HELP!

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue in Logic Pro X Rosetta Version 10.8 which is driving me completely crazy. I'm running Logic on a 2020 M1 Mac mini Sanoma 14.1.

When playing my midi keyboard (which I just replaced, thinking I had a faulty pitch wheel) with a software instrument the pitch will randomly begin to bend, usually down or up a semitone. And it's not as if it simply pitches it a semitone - once the issue happens, each note will be playing 2 notes at once that are completely out of tune with each other . As you can imagine, it makes it impossible to work!

I feel like I've tried everything to try and fix the issue and have run out of options:

• I reset all of my Logic Pro settings to default by deleting all of the 'com.apple.logic10.plist files'
  • I then thought it might be caused by my Apollo X4 interface so I unplugged it, restarted my computer and plugged my headphones directly into my Mac mini and the same thing happens.
  • I then thought it was maybe all of my third party VSTs that had bugs. So I removed them all from my components folder and literally deleted them from my computer - I then spent a week redownloading all of the latest updates of my plugins and VSTs (ie: Kontakt, Serum etc...) and still the issue continues.

I honestly can't think of anything else I can do, so if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. This might seem desperate, but if there's an expert out there that would be willing to have a zoom call with me to try and fix this issue, I'd be happy to pay you for your time.

Thank you in advance!

Charlie

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 8:12 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jan 5, 2024 3:19 PM in response to charlietsmithuk

I’ve got the same issue after I updated to latest OS

pitch on midi just randomly changes a semitone

I’ll hit middle A on the controller and it plays fine then out of nowhere it’ll suddenly be playing a sharp note

if you watch on a meter you can see the change happen

really annoying as makes writing music basically impossible as it just randomly changes notes after they’ve been recorded to midi

or even as I’m playing live without any recorded notes in the sequencer

May 2, 2024 1:24 AM in response to landoGallrisian

I found that it was an issue with the pitch bend wheel on my midi keyboard - it was throwing out random bend info even though the wheel wasn’t being touched.

yhis can be tested by downloading a free midi analyser and seeing if anything shows up when you’re not touching any keys

mine showed and continuous stream of random bend info

I then went into logic settings and disabled the pitch bend so Logic no longer receives any of that info

(fine for me as I don’t really use the pitch bend on midi anyway)

I would suggest trying this first

May 2, 2024 7:26 AM in response to RobertoConcherto

Thanks for the update, Roberto! Right now I am testing the keyboard with the latest version of "MIDIMonitor" with a Roland Um-One midi connector. I am not getting any pitch bends unless I manually touch the wheel. Tried intervals of 5-10 minutes. In Logic Pro X it is sporadic, but the longest duration without a pitch bend is about 4 seconds. I'll try disabling pitch bend in Logic Pro.

May 2, 2024 8:40 AM in response to RobertoConcherto

So this is weird, and we'll see if it maintains working:

1) Plugged my power usb and Um-One into an old Intel MacBook Pro with Logic ProX

2) Monitored MIDI input/output and opened up Logic ProX on the Intel MacBook Pro - Worked Flawlessly!

3) Plugged the Um-One from the Intel Mac to the M1 Mac, while USB connection (power) was in the Intel Mac. No input/output picked up on M1 Mac.

4) Unplugged the USB from the Intel Mac and connected to M1 Mac

5) Disconnected the Um-One MIDI from M1 Mac

Now it is playing and recording without issue. Maybe a firmware issue or compatibility problem with AKAI MPK 261 and Sonoma? We'll see how long this lasts. In Logic Pro X on the M1 Mac for about 5 minutes of recording now without any pitch bends!

May 2, 2024 12:24 PM in response to morozco

Originally I was only using USB, getting power and data, which had worked without issue for the past 3 and a half years. Then it started pitch shifting. Then I switched to power from DC adapter, and midi data via 5-pin on the M1 Mac with continued pitch shifting.

Then I checked it on an Intel Mac with no pitch shifting via 5-pin midi and separate power. After that disconnected 5-pin midi and tried via usb on Intel Mac, still no pitch shifting. Then I completed the steps above. It is now only connected to the M1 Mac via USB (no midi cable) and continues to work without pitch shifting. Just need to do a restart and see if it continues to work.

random pitch bend in Logic Pro X - Please HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.