Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Can't add apps to the dock

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS version 17.03

When arranging icons on the home screen I accidentally ended up combining two apps in the dock to a folder, I then removed the folder by dragging off the dock - which worked , but I couldn't re-add the apps to the dock - when I released my finger they just jump back to their original position regardless of where on the dock I do so. I tried dragging the other icons that remained of the dock - to see if they would behave differently.. but got the same result.. so now my "dock" is empty and I can't add anything back to it.

I do not have have any "restrictions" set under general.. its a personal non work phone that i have full control over.. Any ideas what could be going on ?

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 2:04 PM

Me too - this is on iPad, not iPhone - but same OS version. I'm wondering if a recent update broke something. I've tried every combination of touch-swipe-drag and the icon always snaps back, despite only having one icon in the dock.

18 replies

Dec 16, 2023 1:28 AM in response to robcoles

Hi, just ran into this issue, and wanted to add that it was particularly annoying because while I couldn't add an app to a 3 item dock, I inadvertently added my app to another app in the dock (Safari) and created a folder in the dock. Then I was able to remove the newly added app from the folder in dock, and ended up with Safari inside a folder in the dock. Anyhoo...

I noticed that I had a lot of apps installed. Like 14 pages full of apps. So I started nuking them, just app after useless app. Deleted all of the apps I really didn't need. 4 or 5 airlines that I flew one time and never again... nuked. Some useless games my kids installed... gone. Anyway, after the great app purge, everything worked perfectly again. No issues whatsoever. So... if you have a lot of apps installed, try deleting them (in my case I deleted them, but I'm not sure if removing them might do the trick as well). Seems like there may be a limit on the number of apps that appear on the Home Screen before problems start happening.

Jan 16, 2024 8:55 AM in response to robcoles

This latest round of releases for iOS iPadOS and macOS have all had major issues for me for basic functionality, what is going on with apple test and QA? It really has changed, I used to know that I wouldn't need to spend hours on recovery when doing an update with apple products.

So I moved an item out of my dock to make room, I now have 3 apps in the dock and I can not get any other app to add to the dock to bring back up to 4. I find that needing to delete apps is a BS answer. I am a SW engineer so I get that this is a workaround that must cause an update somewhere that is causing the bug, that makes sense it happens, but to require this of customers is stupid. I have always justified in my mind paying high prices for apple because they just work, I can no longer do that with all of the issues I have had with my iPhone 15 pro along with I spent over 2 hours recovering from upgrading to Sonoma on my MacBook M2. It would no recognize my password and locked my account out and really got me scared, after 2 hours I finally found a way based on what others had posted. So, any updates other than deleting apps randomly and praying it fixes my iPhone? Apple, do you care?

Nov 18, 2023 12:06 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

What a waste of time. I’m having this issue and I come here to look for a solution and this is your response to the problem. The question wasn’t why can’t I add another app to the dock. She clearly described that when she tries to move the app it won’t let her. It’s clear to just about every iPhone user that you can only have 4 apps on the dock at any given time. If you are not gonna provide real solutions you shouldn’t be responding to any tech issues that are going on with people.

Nov 26, 2023 9:22 AM in response to mark_anderson_us

Interesting - after fussing with it for quite a while, my solution was to toggle showing App Library, Suggestions and Recent in the dock, and leave them all off. Then I was able to drag the icons in as normal. After that, I re-enabled the above categories. I suspect that what you and I did is related somehow...i.e. they reset the state. Maybe these will help someone else!

Feb 9, 2024 8:31 AM in response to robcoles

This was giving me a headache. Very annoying issue! Any app that I tried to move to the home dock area was returning to the previous location.

The only solution for me: enable Zoom. Just go to Settings > Accessibility > Zoom > enable Zoom.

It worked perfectly! I can move any app down there now.

You can disable Zoom later.

Apr 1, 2024 3:34 PM in response to robcoles

Same problem. I accidentally dumped my phone app from the dock to a folder. It took me a few minutes to find it. After some very tedious minutes I logged on.

I tried pulling the phone app out of the folder and into messages app in the dock. It stuck. While still edit mode I opened the new “messages” folder and drug the phone app back to its original position in the dock and it stayed. Good Luck to you all, especially those with empty doc. Thanks for the well written reponses

Can't add apps to the dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.