Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

External microphone no longer connecting after iOS 17.1.1 update

My iPhone XS Max updated to iOS 17.1.1 today and now when I plug in my microphone my Camera App behaves as though nothing were plugged in and uses the phone microphone, and I don't know how to access the Camera's sound settings to connect it, as it was simply plug and play before the update. Resetting the phone did not help.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 9:30 PM

I just plug my microphone’s lightning side into the lightning slot. It has lightning, USB-C, and 3.5 mm to choose from. No need for 3.5 mm to lightning adapter. And you’re implying that Apple made certain microphone options unavailable with the update, as I stated that my microphone worked before today, which tells me that there must be a list somewhere of what became unsupported. Could I get a link to that to confirm if support for what I’m using was dropped?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 9:30 PM in response to TheLittles

I just plug my microphone’s lightning side into the lightning slot. It has lightning, USB-C, and 3.5 mm to choose from. No need for 3.5 mm to lightning adapter. And you’re implying that Apple made certain microphone options unavailable with the update, as I stated that my microphone worked before today, which tells me that there must be a list somewhere of what became unsupported. Could I get a link to that to confirm if support for what I’m using was dropped?

Nov 20, 2023 9:33 PM in response to ArgieCreation

ArgieCreation Said:

"I just plug my microphone’s lightning side into the lightning slot. It has lightning, USB-C, and 3.5 mm to choose from. No need for 3.5 mm to lightning adapter. And you’re implying that Apple made certain microphone options unavailable with the update, as I stated that my microphone worked before today, which tells me that there must be a list somewhere of what became unsupported. Could I get a link to that to confirm if support for what I’m using was dropped?"

-------

I'm not aware of it being dropped. So, refer to the following...

Troubleshooting iPhone Microphone:

If hardwired, this is the adapter, so it seems: Buy USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter - Apple

Troubleshooting iPhone Audio:

Save a Few. You might need to get a new speaker or microphone. But, before making that assertion, see if you can use the following links to troubleshoot this...

A Few Links that May Help:

Nov 20, 2023 9:18 PM in response to ArgieCreation

ArgieCreation Siad:

"External microphone no longer connecting after iOS 17.1.1 update: My iPhone XS Max updated to iOS 17.1.1 today and now when I plug in my microphone my Camera App behaves as though nothing were plugged in and uses the phone microphone, and I don't know how to access the Camera's sound settings to connect it, as it was simply plug and play before the update. Resetting the phone did not help."

-------

Using an External Microphone:

If connected using the Lighting to 3.5mm adapter, then it is likey you will not hear any sound at all.

External microphone no longer connecting after iOS 17.1.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.