Can't install HP printer in OS Sonoma - Can't communicate with printer

I just purchased a new MacMini running OS Sonoma (14.1.1). Trying to add my HP OfficeJet 3830 printer. Every time I click on Add it starts the setup process then gives a dialog box saying "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer. I have already tried the following:

• Reset the Print Services.

• Deleted all printer drivers from migrated profile, and installed the HP 5.1.1 set from the Apple site.

• Assigned static IP to the HP printer, and attempted to Add as an IP printer. Choosing Select Software brings up the Printer Software window, but there are zero drivers showing up; even though they are present in /Library/Printers/PPDs.

• Installed all relevant software from HP Easy Set up App.

The printer shows and works on all prior OS systems I have. The printer is recognized by the HP Utility App, and will print a test page from that utility.

I've spent 4 hours today scouring the internet for answers. None of them have worked. HELP!!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 5:18 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 28, 2023 1:25 PM in response to chris.roderick

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem

If you’ve tried all possible solutions and you still can’t print to your printer, reset the printing system. This process deletes all printers from your list of printers, deletes information about all completed print jobs, and deletes all printer presets.

Important: First, try other troubleshooting techniques in Solve printing problems.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Printers & Scanners  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Control-click the printer in the Printers list on the right, then choose Reset Printing System.
  3. Note: If no printers appear in the Printers list, you can Control-click the empty list and choose Reset Printing System.
  4. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners settings is empty.
  5. Add any printers again.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem - Apple Support

Nov 28, 2023 4:47 PM in response to chris.roderick

I FINALLY resolved this. It took having to boot into Disc Recovery mode and totally reinstall the OS. After that. There were no communication issues with setup after that, and all of the printer drivers that were installed showed up again.

Hopefully this helps any of the rest of you who come across this issue. My best guess at what went on is that in migrating my profile from my old laptop, which was running High Sierra (10.13), that some system file must have migrated over and either replaced a Sonoma item, or corrupted it.

Thanks to all that gave suggestions though.

Can't install HP printer in OS Sonoma - Can't communicate with printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.