iOS 17 problems iPhone SE: Planned obsolescence?

Since I upgraded to iOS 17 on my iPhone SE 2020 I’ve had so so so many severe issues. Many are clearly related to operating systems (do I wanna say?) bugs. Examples:

• ALL Apps (with no exception) take significantly longer to start up. Even when nothing else is running or after rebooting the device
  • Battery is at 82%. During a 5min WhatsApp video call, phone shutsd down. After the boot up, it shows 10% battery left. I reboot it manually and then 63% back again.
  • Typing shows a clear delay (I always have to wait to see the final text). This happens in any app where user writing is needed somewhere.

Is apple forcing a planned obsolescence of iPhone SE 2020 or are these just a collection of severe bugs which seem to not be fixed from patch to patch?

iPhone SE

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 11:35 AM

Definite and completely obvious, planned obsolescence. I'm experiencing very similar problems since I upgraded to iOS 17. The phone freezes constantly and is unstable. Corporate greed, as always....ruins everything. They need to sell more phones to keep earnings high, which are already astronomical.

Been a devout ( sounds religious) Apple fan since the Apple IIc!!! But, you're loosing me apple, if you think I will buy another expensive phone, as we head into a recession. They don't mind though, a few lost customers is worth the cost of people frustrated with their old phones (due to the iOS) and buying new ones.

Even the "MeToo" button on this page won't acknowledge its being pressed.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2023 11:35 AM in response to betianirijilla

Definite and completely obvious, planned obsolescence. I'm experiencing very similar problems since I upgraded to iOS 17. The phone freezes constantly and is unstable. Corporate greed, as always....ruins everything. They need to sell more phones to keep earnings high, which are already astronomical.

Been a devout ( sounds religious) Apple fan since the Apple IIc!!! But, you're loosing me apple, if you think I will buy another expensive phone, as we head into a recession. They don't mind though, a few lost customers is worth the cost of people frustrated with their old phones (due to the iOS) and buying new ones.

Even the "MeToo" button on this page won't acknowledge its being pressed.

Dec 2, 2023 11:20 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

My post is trying to highlight the collection of issues that appeared with iOS 17. Battery is just one of them. Replacing a battery (which has an acceptable capacity) just to try (and spend 100€) is just not ecological at all.

And not, the fresh copy did not help. I did that already.

That’s why I posted my problem: because nothing that I’ve tried so far helped.

[Edited by Moderator] 

Dec 2, 2023 11:23 AM in response to betianirijilla

You may be misunderstanding. You are not speaking with Apple here, and I cannot debug your device. You did not state that you tried restoring the device and loading a fresh copy of iOS.

We are all volunteers here. It would seem to me that once you have tried all of the troubleshooting that we can recommend, that you need to use the Support link at that top of the page here to contact Apple Support to have them examine your device. They will explain your options.

Don't worry, as you wish, I will not respond again.

Dec 2, 2023 11:23 AM in response to KiltedTim

You forced me to google this and search papers about battery capacity: no, with 83% I’m not in “last legs”. And Not, at this Point its still not „mandatory“ to get a new battery.

And no, please read again: after rebooting the device, the battery shows the real load status and it last as usual with no further issues.

And also you didn’t try to debug the whole scenario. This is just one of the multiple issues observed since last upgrade

Dec 10, 2023 11:13 PM in response to betianirijilla

Same here.

Since upgraded to 17.1.2 (iPhone SE 2020) These problems have just occurred.

• It can't charge above 80% (sometime it hold charge since 59%)
  • Battery drain faster. Even if without using it still draining fast.

I have tried all these steps. Problem still exists.

• Force Reset
  • Reset Settings
  • Backup > Erase iPhone > Restore
  • Force Reset
  • Erase iPhone > setup as new

In fact, this problem made me intend to pay for a battery replacement. But after getting support from Apple, their staff does not recommend changing the battery. Because the diagnostic results (Hardware component & Battery) still show that everything is normal.

PS. My Battery's Health = 87%

Dec 2, 2023 11:03 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

It is 83% so no, it’s not a battery issue.

Yes, it’s 17.1.2.

Also, this happened several times just after upgrading to iOS 17. It was not happening before. It’s a reproducible issue during any kind of video call.

Also, all other issues show several bugs within the operating system (Another example: I need to reboot the device or restart apps since iOS 17 to listen to audios through the loudspeakers).

To reload the operating systems seems to be the paracetamol in all replies I read ;). Yes, I can confirm it’s the latest one.

The clear decreased performance is the most severe and notable one.

To force or promote a battery exchange when the capacity is below 80% also sounds like planned obsolescence.

Dec 23, 2023 7:24 AM in response to betianirijilla

SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS WITH iOS 17.

My SE2020 is newly refurbished. Battery is at 100%.

Now has lots of problems.

Messages crashes all the time. Cannot scroll through them.

Images cannot be Airdropped.

Neither images or files can be moved to files on icloud.

95% of contacts are lost, or are not retrievable.

No new entries or edits can be saved in contacts.

Had to reset 100% of mail accounts.

Come on, Apple.

What a mess.

Apr 6, 2024 3:34 PM in response to kri708sh

iOs 17 is buggy and has a lot of issues across all the Apple devices, and I’m kind of hating it.

My iPad Pro 11in 2nd gen is so unreliable now, keeps consuming battery even when I’m not using it, it has a lot of issues with Voiceover, Spoken Content, some apps, and often goes off even having 5% of battery power.

A complete factory reset didn’t help at all, and I can’t see its battery health, so I don’t know what to do, I just want a new one or see how can I replace its battery, iOs 16 wasen’t so bad

iOS 17 problems iPhone SE: Planned obsolescence?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.