How can I stop the constant AirPods mute/unmute popup on my iPhone/iPad

Every time my AirPods connect to my iPhone or iPad, I receive the following notification, which stays until I close it or click 'Continue.' I thought this notification would appear only once, but it keeps appearing all the time, and it's starting to drive me crazy.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 1:56 AM

2 replies

May 16, 2024 9:50 AM in response to nikola.k.kalev

I've been having this issue for probably over a year. I do believe there is a fix that I've come across on several other sources so adding here since it's not here.

Go in to Settings, And then your AirPods. If not already showing in Settings go to Bluetooth and then your AirPods.

Under the section called "Calls Controls", the last one is "End Call" and by default it's set to Press Twice. Change this to Press Once.

My understanding is this work around will fix the the Mute / Unmute for coming back up. I'm currently testing and will report back if that is not the case. I would be curious if switching back to Press Twice would bring the problem back as just the adjustment may be jiggling something in the code to make it seen and accepted vs. it keep coming up like its the first time.

The other possible fix might be removing the AirPods from you Apple Account and re-adding them. Not sure I believe that would fix it as you'd at least see it once thinking its new AirPods when you add back.

Right now I'm hoping I NEVER see this screen pop up again.

How can I stop the constant AirPods mute/unmute popup on my iPhone/iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.