Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Wrong time/date, connected to WiFi yet can’t connect to internet at all

To be clear, laptop was used a couple weeks ago and all was fine. Used it today and it booted up with the wrong date/time (it was off by several months and it thought it was 4am when it was 9pm).

• I did attempt to fix that immediately by checking time and date settings when I realized it was all as it should be and yet still displayed incorrect times.
  • that’s when I went to safari to look this issue up on google and I ran into the second issue.

I am connected to WiFi but cannot access any website.

• I tried connecting via phone hotspot and same. Able to connect to hotspot but no website access.

I did attempt the basics of fixing.

• restart both laptop and router
  • forget WiFi network and reconnect
  • messed with just about all settings within advanced tab of WiFi. (DNS and all - I suppose I could have missed a potential solution in this area as this would be my biggest weakness)

At one point I was ok with a full factory reset - nothing on here I would regret losing or isn’t backed up. Unfortunately, once it came time to enter my iCloud password to confirm this, the laptop could not reach out and confirm password so it was at a standstill.

I understand there is a way to bypass that but I’m afraid I would need to reinstall macOS and I don’t have a way of doing that at this point in time.

thanks in advance for the help!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2024 5:50 PM

this thread explains what has happened to my very new macbook m3. so now that the time generator chip is corrupted, simply because the battery ran down, is that something that needs to be repaired under warranty?

Similar questions

22 replies

Dec 6, 2023 12:30 AM in response to K_evin

You cannot access the internet when the time and date on your MacBook are incorrect. So what you have to do is go to system settings>date and time and make sure to set the Time correctly. After setting the time press the lock button to apply the setting and see if date and time are staying correct now.

If not, you cannot access the internet even when connected to a wifi network

Does the.macbook have battery issues? That causes problems with date and time displayed in the right order. To bypass the icloud login that you're at now click sign in another time to go further with the macOS setup. After that is done, make sure the date and time settings are set correctly before attempting to connect to the internet

Mar 14, 2024 11:53 AM in response to AntonRFR

<< why did that happen in the first place? >>

If the Main battery was ever allowed to go to Zero, the battery voltage used to maintain both the time generator chip and the system settings for time can become corrupted.

On a desktop Mac, there is a separate PRAM backup battery that does this job. On a MacBook, it's the main battery.

Mar 28, 2024 3:49 PM in response to mattpb11

I was told it was a software issue and advised to do a factory reset either at store or at home. I picked at home. Big mistake! I couldn’t do a factory reset because I needed internet in order to sign out of my Apple is. I found another forum that suggested to shut the Mac down and then press and hold the on button u til it went in to safe mode. I did this and it gave me the option to reinstall the last update. It is now working. Hope this helps

May 14, 2024 7:57 AM in response to Sparky75

although you can not make Secure httpS: connections, most time servers and similar sites use http: only, so secure connection is not required.

This site does not require secure connection if you type:

http://1.1.1.1

you should get the CloudFlare** splash page if you have an internet connection.

** CloudFlare is not part of the solution, they just have the easiest-to-remember all-numeric IP address.

Wrong time/date, connected to WiFi yet can’t connect to internet at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.