Error occurred while converting file "filename". The required file cannot be found

Ever since I upgraded to Sonoma 14.1.1 I've had trouble importing music. I am using an iMac 2019 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 with an external CD drive. I drop a music CD in and go thru the normal importing steps until maybe the 2nd, 3rd or even the 11th song I get the following error:

Error occurred while converting file "filename". The required file cannot be found.

I tried converting the latest Stones album, encountered the problem and put it aside. Today I bought a set of The Doors cds and again encountered the problem. The first disc went OK until the last song. I deselected all the songs already converted and chose only the one failure, set it to import and it worked fine.

But the next disc can only go a couple or not even one song without this problem.

I tried with and without the disc error correction option but it made no difference.

I'm also getting lock ups of the program and having to quit the program.

I suspect it is the program because I can drop in a disc, cancel the importation option and play the disc thru the Music app.

I looked around and couldn't find anything in the Apple Communities to help - I'm really terrible on search terms.

Can anyone help?

Mahalo. Erik R

iMac 27″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2024 9:15 PM

Had the same problem with macOS 14.4.1 on 2019 MacBook Pro. I have a Pioneer Bluray/DVD/CD read/write USB drive that’s about four years old and never had a problem previously. I plugged the drive into my powered TB3 hub and kept getting errors, and wouldn’t finish ripping CDs. Then I used a USB-A to TB3 adapter and plugged the drive directly into my MacBook Pro and it ripped the entire CD fine on the first try. Not sure if Sonoma is just more sensitive, but I didn’t have a problem with the drive plugged into the hub in the past. So plugging in to one of the TB3 ports on my MacBook Pro worked for me.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2024 9:15 PM in response to javaliga

Had the same problem with macOS 14.4.1 on 2019 MacBook Pro. I have a Pioneer Bluray/DVD/CD read/write USB drive that’s about four years old and never had a problem previously. I plugged the drive into my powered TB3 hub and kept getting errors, and wouldn’t finish ripping CDs. Then I used a USB-A to TB3 adapter and plugged the drive directly into my MacBook Pro and it ripped the entire CD fine on the first try. Not sure if Sonoma is just more sensitive, but I didn’t have a problem with the drive plugged into the hub in the past. So plugging in to one of the TB3 ports on my MacBook Pro worked for me.

Dec 14, 2023 4:23 PM in response to javaliga

Cleaned the USB connections and tried again. First song errored out.

One thing I forgot to mention is that after clicking cancel on the error, I come back to the beginning of the process, i.e. I get a message that some of the songs have already been imported and if I wanted to overwrite or ignore those files/songs.

Before it would repeat the process until finally I would get my songs imported.

It did it this time, will stick in another disc to see if the problem is still going on.

Thanks for the advice.

Error occurred while converting file "filename". The required file cannot be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.