Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Watch showing strange icon - two watches coming together - or watch+phone iOS 10.2

What is this? It shows up on the watch every time I wake my phone now.

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2023 3:24 PM

Same thing just happened to me and although it stopped it wasn’t the first time but now I want to know what the heck this means please!

37 replies

Feb 16, 2024 8:40 AM in response to igirl1

Glad to finally find a discussion on this. I didn't even know how to describe it to get reasonable search responses on several attempts. Yay for the Apple Community! And Igirl1 for getting a photo of the watch screen and starting this thread.

I have two watches -- a Series 4 and a Series 7, both up to date with Version 10.3. My iphone 14 is running IOS 17.2.1.

It's only on the Series 7 that the display will randomly show a "watch-to-watch/watch-to-phone" motion, two watches moving into a position of being face-to-face. Igirl1's photo shows the first position, side-by-side. The next motion is those two watches moving to be face-to-face. This is then followed by a phone-to-watch motion, which shows the watch moving towards the Iphone's bottom connector, and moving back & forth towards it. Exactly as Igirl1's 2nd photo.

Then it stops. Just prior to the display showing this, the watch vibrates. This has been going on since, I believe, the update in September (whichever one that was, 10.0? 10.1?). Other than the vibration -- I hear no sound. The phone doesn't indicate anything, either. Just the Watch.

As far as I recall, I'm always wearing the Series 7 watch when it happens. Last night it happened, the phone was next to me on the bed, and I was wearing the watch. Neither one was on a charger. The Watch series 4 was on the bedstand, not on the charger. I don't recall ever seeing this happen on the Series 4 watch. I'm sure it hasn't.

Obviously the display is indicating some sort of 'pairing' activity. Or the need to pair. ? Both of my watches are shown in the app. I have the setting on "automatic" so that when I take off one watch and put on the other, the phone recognizes which one I'm wearing... usually:

I noticed just the other night that my Apple Series 4 watch--even though I had been wearing it for several hours, apparently was not connected to the phone. That's the first time that has happened, I believe. I went into the app, and saw a message to connect. I didn't need to repair it or anything. I just tapped on the watch in the app and it connected.

This is telling us SOMETHING! Right? Does everyone who is seeing this own two watches? I think so.

I'm wondering if repairing both watches will eliminate this event.

Weird.

Feb 16, 2024 8:49 AM in response to Cam0917

That appears to be something different than Igirl1 and I, and others, are describing. I have no squiggly lines, no eerie sound effects. Just the motion of the two watches faces face-to-face, and then the phone-to-watch motion. And I have had the phone and my watch on charges next to one another at the same time. Don't recall if the motions always happen when that is the case. Will have to try that and see.

Watch showing strange icon - two watches coming together - or watch+phone iOS 10.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.