Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Verification Required App Store Loop (FIXED!)

I was one of the more than 2500 people who had that dreaded "Verification Required" app store loop where every time you try to download an app (free or paid), you're prompted to enter your password and then confirm or add a new payment method.

After completing that step, you're then asked to provide verification yet again which takes you through the same process without ever downloading the app. I searched for a resolution to this problem since October of 2023 (when I first started having the issue) and hadn't found one... until today!

After speaking with a rep at Apple, this issue is henceforth FIXED:

The issue is caused by a pending or unpaid App Store purchase and the process to resolve it that was given to me by the rep is HERE.

If you want the SIMPLE version:

Navigate to your Account Settings: Go to Settings > Your Name > Media & Purchases > View Account > Purchase History

• Any purchase with red text is what is causing the trouble. For me, it was a pending in-app purchase.

To fix this you need to add money to your Apple Store account (this is different from your Apple Wallet or iTunes account).

You can use gift cards or other cards in your Apple Wallet to add the funds. I didn't have a gift card but I had the amount required already on my Apple Pay card (my default payment method).

1. Navigate to Account Settings using the same steps as above, but instead of choosing Purchase History, choose Add Money to Account and choose the $25 option.
  2. Confirm using the side button. The $25 OR the money for the pending or unpaid purchase (if less than $25) will be deducted from the default payment method. Mine was $10.66 and I had $11 on my Apple Pay card, so that is what was paid.

NOTE: If the unpaid or pending purchase is less than $25, you may see a message indicating the payment has failed because it wasn't the full $25, this is to be expected.

This not only cleared the pending charge but allowed me to start downloading apps again without a problem. I was sure to tell Juan (the Apple rep I chatted with today) how appreciative I was for his help. If it helps you, pay it forward. All the best.

Meg

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 24, 2023 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2024 4:05 PM

I have checked all of this and I don’t have any outstanding payments? And when I try to add a new card on it says “error”

Similar questions

12 replies

Verification Required App Store Loop (FIXED!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.