cursor jumps randomly while typing

2019 macbook pro 16 inch - The cursor jumps randomly to other parts of the document while typing. Not app specific. Occurs in Mail, Notes, Text Edit, and any other application I've used on my 2019 MacBook Pro 16 inch. I've tried resetting the PRAM and SMC, but this doesn't seem to correct the condition for more than an hour or so. In fact the cursor has jumped twice while typing this paragraph.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Jan 5, 2024 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2024 5:54 PM

This is Sonoma. I don't usually jump on new iOS, but once I upgraded, I have the problem too. It's a bug in the new iOS, it can't be anything else, in fact for fun it did it twice while typing this response.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 5, 2024 7:07 PM in response to SparkyFromWilmington

Try using an external keyboard & mouse instead to see if you still encounter the issue. This is to make sure you are not accidentally brushing the trackpad while typing.

If the issue also occurs with an external keyboard & mouse, then you have a hardware issue with the laptop. Either the Trackpad is failing, or maybe the battery is starting to swell & is pushing against the Trackpad causing the Trackpad to misbehave.

Jan 5, 2024 10:09 PM in response to SparkyFromWilmington

When trackpads fail, they will sometimes cause the pointer to jump around. Sometimes they may work for a little while, but after "warming up" they start to act out. No matter what, I think you have a hardware issue of some sort. I guess you could try booting into Safe Mode to see if it still occurs since that should eliminate software issues, but I doubt it.

Jan 5, 2024 7:15 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for your reply. Yes this problem occurs when using an external keyboard as well. It has also been going on for quite sometime, so doubt it's the battery, but I'll check it to see if it shows signs of swelling. I did find one other community thread with the exact same issue, but no ultimate solution. Thanks again for your response.

Jan 6, 2024 10:20 AM in response to HWTech

I agree it's a hardware issue, though I'm more inclined to believe it's the keyboard at fault. In the past month a new issue has arisen where on occasion an un-open app will open randomly, and always on a keypress. It might be getting time to order a replacement anyway since now the whole laptop goes black (screen, keyboard) for several seconds as if it has shutdown. On pressing the start key the whole thing springs back to life exactly where I left things. I like to keep my laptops for a long time, but this is my second MacBook Pro that hasn't made it 5 years. Both have had serious issues both in and out of warranty I'm sad to say.

cursor jumps randomly while typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.