Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Blocked number leaving voicemails

How do i stop a blocked number from leaving a voicemail

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 18, 2024 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2024 12:15 PM

But for some, these are dangerous people who are trying to find a way back in and if you are a vulnerable person you might let them back into your life based on untruths they may say in the voicemail. A block should be a block.

14 replies

Jan 18, 2024 1:05 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes that is what I am seeing- however I would like that the blocked number is not able to leave a voicemail even in the blocked folder. As it fills up my voicemail storage. Seems like only way to do this is through my carrier Verizon. It's absurd that in this era of advanced technology, we're still grappling with basic communication nuisances. Apple should step up their game here.

Mar 6, 2024 12:43 PM in response to dalegriner

dalegriner wrote:

I have voicemails from numbers that are blocked. This is dangerous as I have blocked the number of people who are not safe for me to communicate with. If I block a number I need there to be a complete non communication with that person.

If it's not safe for you to communicate with them, don't listen to the voicemails.

Jan 18, 2024 1:14 PM in response to amir6977

All the phone can do when you block a caller is automatically reject the call. From that point on, it’s up to your cellular carrier. Missed or rejected calls go to voicemail, which is a carrier feature, not a function of the phone.

In order to block them from leaving a voicemail, you would have to block them at the carrier level. Contact your carrier to see if they offer this feature.

Jan 18, 2024 1:32 PM in response to amir6977

Apple nor any phone can control that. It is a cellular provider service (the actual voicemail system and its routing) so it’s something they control not Apple. They can’t step up their game on this unless they become a cellular service provider. Unfortunately it’s the actual providers that would need to provide a better way to handle it….not sure if Verizon’s premium call filter service would do what you want (I don’t pay the extra monthly fee for the premium version so I can’t test it out)

Apr 29, 2024 9:38 AM in response to KiltedTim

This is not really true. iOS can auto-delete unwanted voicemails the carriers refuse to keep out of your voicemail. This happens because banks use harassment tactics for bill collection, and Apple and carriers are looking out for them by not totally cutting them off -- which means the vast majority of us have to deal with spam and scammers.

May 9, 2024 9:33 AM in response to KaeBFly

I know my delay in response. However, when I had my Samsung, when I blocked numbers I wouldn't get voicemails. They were completely blocked on my phone without having to contact my carrier. Therefore, this technology is available and Apple is probably just waiting until like model 20 comes out and then they will be like "LOOK AT THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY BY APPLE".

Jan 18, 2024 1:08 PM in response to amir6977

amir6977 wrote:

Yes that is what I am seeing- however I would like that the blocked number is not able to leave a voicemail even in the blocked folder. As it fills up my voicemail storage. Seems like only way to do this is through my carrier Verizon. It's absurd that in this era of advanced technology, we're still grappling with basic communication nuisances. Apple should step up their game here.

You can certainly let Apple know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Apple has generally erred on the side of caution and set things up so that people can't tell they've been blocked. There are, unfortunately, situations where, if people knew they had been blocked, they might escalate an already bad situation.

May 9, 2024 9:58 AM in response to SDianne616

SDianne616 wrote:

I know my delay in response. However, when I had my Samsung, when I blocked numbers I wouldn't get voicemails. They were completely blocked on my phone without having to contact my carrier. Therefore, this technology is available and Apple is probably just waiting until like model 20 comes out and then they will be like "LOOK AT THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY BY APPLE".

You can certainly let Apple know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Blocked number leaving voicemails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.