Autocorrect keep highlighting words even if theyre spelled correctly

How do I make this stop?! I’d be typing on my phone (iOS 17.3.1) and certain words that are spelled perfectly correctly will have blue highlight underneath them, and when I try to move the cursor after them it’ll just select the entire word! No matter how many times I tap the word it’ll just keep highlighting the entire word and not move the cursor to the end of the word like I want to. I didn’t notice this til iOS 17 or so. How do I disable this?? It even suggests I replace the underlined word with non-existent/misspelled words. This has got to stop.

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2024 7:49 AM

When attempting to place the cursor for text edit, the word closest to where I want the cursor will highlight for auto-correct, even though it is spelled correctly. Difficult to click off the highlight. Must move cursor elsewhere. I end up just typing the word again because it’s quicker than trying to fight this annoying issue. I can’t believe we’re the only people complaining about this. I would have thought there’d be pages and pages of exasperated Apple users. I’m on iOS 17.3.1. Please fix this!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2024 7:49 AM in response to bagaganoush

When attempting to place the cursor for text edit, the word closest to where I want the cursor will highlight for auto-correct, even though it is spelled correctly. Difficult to click off the highlight. Must move cursor elsewhere. I end up just typing the word again because it’s quicker than trying to fight this annoying issue. I can’t believe we’re the only people complaining about this. I would have thought there’d be pages and pages of exasperated Apple users. I’m on iOS 17.3.1. Please fix this!

Mar 19, 2024 3:40 PM in response to bagaganoush

It’s really frustrating because if you click on or near a word that has been autocorrected, that word gets highlighted with the option to return it to what you typed. It would be better if it were easier to deselect (maybe offer an option to ignore the “uncorrection”, but I haven’t found a way to deselect other than holding the space bar and moving the cursor to where I want to resume typing.

Apr 13, 2024 5:07 PM in response to BMK_83

I think this would be a lot less annoying if it didn’t happen to words that have already been autocorrected. For example, if I want to add a word to the sentence above, and I tap anywhere near a word that was corrected I’m stuck having to navigate around Apple offering to unfix something.

maybe the answer is to stop offering to undo an autocorrect after a few seconds, or after a sentence was completed (or something - almost anything would be better than current!)

Most of the time, I benefit from autocorrect. I do love it.

but:

99.999% of the time, I do not want to put “an autocorrect” back to “annnnssticrrt” for gods sake.

Autocorrect keep highlighting words even if theyre spelled correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.