macOS Sonoma caused Final Cut Pro 10.7.1 to struggle with 4K playback?

Hi everyone, it’s my first time posting here! I usually don’t ever write in forums; which I think just shows how desperate I am right now.

A few weeks ago, I finally decided to upgrade to macOS Sonoma on my 2022 M1 Ultra (20-Core CPU, 64-Core GPU, 64GB RAM) Mac Studio after staying on Ventura for a while. After updating, I noticed that Final Cut Pro X has started to struggle with playing back & editing 4K footage. I’ve been using Final Cut Pro X for 7 years now, and have been able to easily edit 4K multicam footage on my Mac Studio. Now, even if I just have a single 4K clip, I get anywhere from 1-5 seconds from hitting spacebar to the clip actually playing.

Things I’ve tried:

• Switching Hard Drives - I’ve tried both Samsung T9 and T7 plugged into the front Thunderbolt ports. Even tried moving all files locally onto the Mac’s own hard drive.

• Uninstalling Google Chrome + Keystone files - Heard that this is a common issue, but it didn’t seem to help me

• Clean / Fresh Install - I’ve completely erased the Mac’s data drive and did a fresh re-install of Sonoma. After only having Final Cut as the single app installed, it still struggled with 4K playback.

• Deleting custom preferences

• Creating a new library & project

• Using proxies instead of original media (I’ve had no problems using original media all this time, so it seemed suspicious to me if I only had to start using proxies now)

I was really hoping that it was just coincidence, and maybe I could troubleshoot it myself. But I’m starting to think that I might just be cursed with combination of macOS Sonoma + Final Cut Pro 10.7.1. I’ve also included my EtreCheck report.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reads this!

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 9:44 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 13, 2024 8:11 AM in response to ChaseYama

After trying what Tom suggested, if the beachball hang still happens, while it is hung, do these commands. It doesn't have to be the same hang event, but make sure FCP is hung in the beachball state while each of these run, which takes about 3 sec each.

These are built-in MacOS commands to sample data from the hung app and produce TXT files you can submit or post somewhere we can get them.

The first command (spindump) samples the hung process every 10 milliseconds for three seconds, creating a list of each thread's call stack, ordered by the number of times the function appears over the sample period.

The second command (sample) also samples the hung process every 10 milliseconds for three seconds, but it writes each sample to the output file. This enables post-processing of that file to examine the execution frequency of each function in each thread's call stack over the sample period.

The spindump file will be about 10MB and the sample file about 2MB. They are TXT format, but too large to post.

I can analyze these and hopefully get an idea of what FCP is doing during the beachball interval. You will need to upload them somewhere we can get to them.

sudo sample 'Final Cut' 3 -file ~/Documents/FCPSample3s.txt

sudo spindump 'Final Cut' 3 -file ~/Documents/FCPSpinDump3s.txt

Mar 13, 2024 12:58 PM in response to ChaseYama

It helps isolate the problem if you duplicate your timeline, open that duplicate, select all clips with CMD+A, and then do Edit>Remove Effects. Then, see if it's still slow. If it's fast and smooth, that points to an effects issue.

If it suddenly becomes fast, do CMD+Z to under the Remove Effects, then select 1/2 of the timeline and do Edit>Remove Effects and try that. Repeat that process using 1/4 then 1/8 of the timeline until you narrow down the clips and effects causing the problem.

Some effects, such as Neat Video, are simply compute-intensive and will be slow unless the timeline is rendered to cache. Some combinations of optical flow retiming and stabilization can be slow. The object tracking feature in some cases can be very slow.

It's probably better you do the above tests and report the results before gathering that data using the scripts I listed above. (Never mind, I got the files you uploaded).

Mar 13, 2024 1:18 PM in response to ChaseYama

There are a lot of calls to the MacOS Espresso AI framework. Are you using voice isolation or the object tracking feature? If you are and you know what clips those are on, can you disable those clips and try that.

There are also lots of AU (Audio Unit) related calls in the hung thread. Are you using any 3rd-party audio plugins? If so, as a test can you try disabling those clips?

This is just an early observation, still looking...

Mar 13, 2024 12:39 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you for the suggestion! I created a new admin user, disconnected all drives and hubs, imported all the media locally, and created a new library. Unfortunately, I still managed to replicate the sluggish performance. I find that it happens when I'm a bit deeper into editing a 4K clip; in other words, when I first open the clip in the timeline with no edits, it can play back fine (as far as I can tell). Not sure if that's useful information?

Mar 13, 2024 2:46 PM in response to joema

Wow, thanks for the detailed info!

My very basic workflow consists of adding a blanket Channel EQ (Default), Compressor (Logic), and Limiter (Final Cut), as well as Voice Isolation to a roughly 30 minute clip. After that, I just do jump cuts to take out the dead air.

But you may have hit the nail on the head! I tried removing all effects, and playback seemed much better. I also tried adding the effects, and playback still seemed fine. But Voice Isolation was what caused the most problems when playing back the footage. I'm still not 100% sure it's fully solved because I feel that this issue has been somewhat random and finicky to replicate. And it doesn't feel completely smooth as it once was, but it's at least useable now.

It does just seem odd to me that I've been using this same exact workflow for a while, but only now have been running into issues? But hey, I guess I'll just have to deal with making some small adjustments to my workflow.

Thanks again for looking through that massive text file!

macOS Sonoma caused Final Cut Pro 10.7.1 to struggle with 4K playback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.