Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

iOS Update 15.8.2 Critical Bugs

I recently updated my iPhone 6S Plus to iOS 15.8.2.

Shortly thereafter, the device began shutting down on a fully charged battery.

I've been troubIe-shooting this for a few days.

I went as far as restoring the device.

Unfortunately, restoring failed to resolve the issue and without a way to revert back to the previous version of iOS, the issue persists.

I've been fortunate enough to not have a single issue with this device or any Apple product for that matter, until this update.

This is very disappointing.

I realize the market may be small for this, but is anyone else experiencing this or similar issues with the iOS 15.8.2?

iPhone 6s Plus, 15

Posted on Mar 23, 2024 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2024 2:34 PM

Just updated to 15.8.2 today. Battery health is fine and normal but everything is delayed, from clicking on a app to starting up the phone. There is a noticeable delay now and it’s extremely disappointing.

Similar questions

30 replies

Apr 1, 2024 2:42 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I updated to 15.8.2 three days ago. Since then, on two occasions my 6s has unexpectedly turned off needing charge to turn on. Shows red charge icon when I plug in, meaning very low charge. Soon after that I check, it turns on and there’s way more charge, equating with the charge level before the shut down.

Battery health is 100%. This did not happen before the very recent update.

Mar 23, 2024 3:40 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Actually, after looking around there does appear to be a number of others who are affected as well.

The big difference here is unlike many, I only use a few apps, not a few hundred, offload the rest and primarily use the device as a phone.

Not to mention, I always take the necessary steps to ensure a longest possible battery life on my devices right away by disabling Wifi, Bluetooth, Location services, Background app refresh, Siri and all the unnecessary battery bleeding apps & services.

While it may be an older model, after 5 years of use, it looks like a brand new device fresh out of the box and until the iOS 15.8.2 update, it functioned like one.

That being said, I'm still leaning towards it being a software issue.

After all, it wouldn't be the first time they rolled out a buggy update.

Mar 24, 2024 7:52 AM in response to d365

d365 wrote:

Actually, after looking around there does appear to be a number of others who are affected as well.

There are 2 billion iPhone users. No matter what problem you have, there are guaranteed to be others with the same problem. So the fact that others are affected, especially for a failing battery symptom, is not really useful information in troubleshooting.

You have done all of the reasonable troubleshooting that you can. Contact Apple support, or make a genius bar appointment, and Apple can run diagnostics and identify the problem. But it is most likely a failing battery. Is this the original battery? If so, I am certain that is the problem. If the battery has been replaced, how long ago? And by Apple or a 3rd party (meaning not with an Apple spec’d battery).

Apr 2, 2024 9:25 PM in response to SouthLondoninnit

I updated to 15.8.2 three days ago. Since then, on two occasions my 6s has unexpectedly turned off needing charge to turn on. Shows red charge icon when I plug in, meaning very low charge. Soon after that I check, it turns on and there’s way more charge, equating with the charge level before the shut down.
Battery health is 100%. This did not happen before the very recent update.

That's exactly what mine does and this never happened before the update.

To reduce the frequency of this happening, I've had to:

Switch to dark mode.

Turn the screen brightness all the way down.

Disable Raise to Wake.

It kind of sucks.

Mar 24, 2024 10:22 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

You are correct. I've done all the reasonable troubleshooting I can on my end.

I contacted Apple support prior to posting here.

They ran the diagnostics and said the battery appeared to be fine. (Original battery.)

It's far to much of a coincidence to believe this is hardware related when others are experiencing all the same issues right after updating their 6S to 15.8.2.

Apr 2, 2024 9:36 PM in response to DigitalEntity

DigitalEntity wrote:

Just updated to 15.8.2 today. Battery health is fine and normal but everything is delayed, from clicking on a app to starting up the phone. There is a noticeable delay now and it’s extremely disappointing.

Extremely disaapointing indeed!

I'm experiencing the same thing, then it either locks up or completey shuts down.

When it restarts, it shows the red charge warning, but when you plug it in it bumps up to 80+% and within a few minutes it's at 100% again.

Checking daily for that next update.

May 17, 2024 7:11 AM in response to Truthteller19

Re: “… at least one year after Apple stated that the device would not be updated again more than a year ago … “

Can you possibly provide a source for this assertion?

iOS 16 was released about 20 months ago.

Apple has historically provided critical “point” updates — correcting security vulnerabilities and providing bug patches — for at least a couple of years to the prior iOS.

In that light … iOS 15.8.2‘s release timing might not seem “unusual.”

May 29, 2024 4:36 AM in response to Jazzdog

Hello~ What’s your battery health? To check click on below and review. If your battery health is 80% or below have the battery replaced.

Check the iPhone battery health and usage - Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Also try a forced restart…

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

I had no issues on iOS 15.8.2.

~Katana-San~

iOS Update 15.8.2 Critical Bugs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.