17.4.1 update caused lost cell/internet/wifi connection

I updated my iPhone 13 with the recommended 17.4.1 version and almost immediately I lost the internet via my internet/cell provider. I can’t access internet via wifi. I did all the basic trouble shooting, but no internet. I want to roll back to the previous version but there is no option to do so. Please advise. Thank you

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 25, 2024 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2024 3:23 AM

I have just spoken with apple support.... turns out, it was VPN thats the problem!! (it was trying to connect all the time & I could see..... when I deleted VPN, all is 0k! (Settings/General/VPN & Device Management)

19 replies

Mar 25, 2024 9:30 AM in response to YelizavetaG

Internet not available WiFi and Cellular Data

Your device is probably not connected to the internet. There are a few steps you can take to verify the connectivity of your device.

You may test the internet connectivity in two ways...

1. Firstly, you can open a web browser on your device. When you open a web browser, the initial page that loads is typically based on your browsing history or cookies. To further confirm the connection, you can tap on any link on that website. If the link opens and displays the corresponding content, it confirms that your device is indeed connected to the internet. See the pic below
  2. Another method to check internet connectivity is by opening a specific application that requires an internet connection. WhatsApp is an example of such an application. When you launch WhatsApp, it immediately attempts to establish a connection with its servers to synchronize your chats and display any new messages. If you can see your chat conversations and receive real-time updates, it indicates that your device is connected to the internet. See the pic below

Connecting to Wi-Fi is the initial step, followed by establishing an internet connection.

However, it's important to note that connecting to Wi-Fi does not automatically guarantee an internet connection. In the event that you are unable to connect to Wi-Fi, the issue may stem from settings on your iPhone or the router/modem.

On the other hand, if you are unable to establish an internet connection despite being connected to Wi-Fi, the problem is likely related to the settings on your router/modem. In such cases, it is advisable to promptly contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance.

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency that issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency that provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Mar 25, 2024 9:29 AM in response to YelizavetaG

iOS updates aim to enhance user experience, boost security, and fix bugs rather than disrupt core features. Internet issues after updates might stem from underlying, unmentioned factors. Updates won't typically alter personal data but may refine settings or features. Backup before major updates for safety. Review Apple's update details and backup advice for a smooth process.

Kindly consider checking your settings and addressing any device issues before attributing the issue to external factors. This could be a pure coincidence that the iOS update affected the iPhone internet functions.

Before initiating a standard iOS update, it's advisable to create a backup. Have you completed this step? If yes, proceed with the restoration from the backup.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

Apr 10, 2024 12:17 AM in response to YelizavetaG

I trust you have tried restarting your Wi-Fi Router and turning on and off AirPlan mode on your iPhone. If that wasn't helpful, you should look for other ways. Let me give you some ideas about it.

If you're using a VPN, turn it off.

Once you've done with Forget, you can try rejoining the Wi-Fi network.

If you still have a problem, you can Reset your iPhone's Network Settings.

Contact Apple Support if everything you tried and still have an issue with the Wi-Fi.

Apr 23, 2024 10:15 PM in response to YelizavetaG

I’m having the same issue. Since the 17.4.1 iOS update my WiFi is not staying connected and every app that uses it is super slow, enough so that I have thought more than once about buying a new phone that is not Apple related. To have such a fundamental function as WiFi go out seems to be either an error of extreme negligence or a deliberate act. Whatever the cause, the suggested fixes are absolutely not working and are an extreme nuisance. I’ve never had VPN set up. But I find it an insult to my intelligence to be asked if I have restarted my router, turned on and off my phone, restarted the WiFi, or any other no-brainer fixes. Of course I immediately checked all of those devices and the connectivity associated with them. When is Apple going to correct this issue? Clearly it is not an isolated problem and has been reoccurring throughout the last few updates. A quick search on Google easily supports this claim. Loyalty to a brand can only extend as far as the service provided does the job. I love Apple products but this is such a disappointment and massive inconvenience.

17.4.1 update caused lost cell/internet/wifi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.