Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I use a HDRI image to light 3D models (.USDZ) in Apple Motion?

I have a scene in Apple Motion with a 3D model in USDZ format with PBR (physically based rendering) based materials. This means the robot should realistically reflect a panorama HDR environment image. But how do I add a 360 degree HDRI environment to light this model in Motion?

What I have: The USDZ 3D model in Apple Motion with no realistic environmental lightning and reflections.

What I want to achieve: realistic PBR lightning and reflections (example from Cheetah3D).

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Mar 27, 2024 6:46 PM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2024 8:01 AM in response to claude_210

You are right. Apple Motion have very poor integration with 3D objects in USDZ file format.

From Apple's support article on Motion:

"Motion’s cameras and lights interact with 3D objects, but shadows, drop shadows, and reflections are not available for 3D objects. Additionally, camera depth-of-field settings have no effect on 3D objects."

Source: Guidelines for working with 3D objects in Motion - Apple-support (SE)

So yes, 3D objects in Motion are very limited and doesn't work with realistic 360 HDR panorama images for lightning, reflections or even shadows. Unfortunately.

How do I use a HDRI image to light 3D models (.USDZ) in Apple Motion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.